Can't monitor digital inputs?

Hello all,

I’ve been using Cubase 9.5.10, with the Steinberg MR816csx interface. I’ve come across an issue I just can’t seem to figure out:

I’m bringing a mic signal back into Cubase via spdif in… e.g., pre amp out>> into Benchmark ADC1 >>spdif out >> into csx820 spdif in. I also have “spdif + optical” selected.

I can see (and record) the signal coming into cubase, but in know way can I figure out how to monitor (hear) the signal in the headphones. IF I bring the signal back into cubase via the interface inputs 1-8, all is well. I’m using the control room section to monitor my headphones as well as my monitors. Again, all other aspects are working as needed.

Can anyone shed some light as to why I can’t hear the digital inputs?

Thanks,
Marc

Did you create cue sends for the headphones in Control Room?

I did indeed set up the cue sends. I wonder if this is an issue with the 816? Bottom line is, I should be able to hear what I’m recording, even if im coming back in via spdif, especially since I can “see” the signal, and since I hear it fine when I route the signal back into a channel on the 816, correct?

Does cubase, and/or the 816 digital ins not share the same outputs as channels 1-8?

Did more experimenting this morning. Oddly, when I run a signal to the R channel of the adc-1 and back into the 816, I can hear the signal in the phones, but only on the right side!? It seems that the spdif in isn’t included in the cue sends, because I’m hearing that signal independent of those sends.

My next experiment is to disable the control and see if I can get it to work.

Has anyone else ever successfully monitored spdif in while tracking?

Yeah, I’d disable Control Room and just get the signal into Cubase. Once you work that out, going back to CR should be much easier.

I don’t use any SPDIF connection at the moment so can’t help on that, sorry.