Can't open Dorico 4 since this morning

Since this morning or yesterday, Dorico 4 is very unstable. I often have to force to quit or restart my computer. I don’t know if it is linked with specific projet I have.

I did a Spindump that I attached here

Spindump.zip (310.4 KB)

It is already there, isn’t?

Also, please do in Dorico ‘Help > Create Diagnostics Report’ and attach the corresponding zip file here. The contained log files may also give us a hint.

I would like but for now, I can’t open the program. It is stuck at the launching…

You are on Mac, right? Then open Activity Monitor and look for a process called VSTAudioEngine. If one is there, force quit it (and also Dorico) and try to launch again. Any better?
If there is no VSTAudioEngine process, then it most likely crashed. In that case open the Console application and on the left side of the window is a tab for Crash Logs. Click on that and in the main window a list with crash reports is shown. Are there Dorico or VSTAudioEngine related entries? If so, highlight one of them, do a right click and choose ‘Reveal in Finder’. In the Finder window, select all pertinent files and zip them up and attach here. Thanks

Before seeing your post, I just restarted my computer and Dorico opened.
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (874.0 KB)

It.might happen again, if it does, I’ll follow these steps carefully

Thanks for your help

It definitely looks to my semi-trained eye that the audio engine is unable to start, or is perhaps already running in a zombie state, so when Dorico tries to contact it, it’s unable to, and it sits there, waiting for Godot.

If you encounter this again, check whether VSTAudioEngine is listed in Activity Monitor, and perhaps take a sample of that process, then force quit the process, force quit Dorico, wait 10 seconds for Steinberg License Engine to exit, then try running Dorico again.

1 Like

Ok! Thanks for your help :slight_smile: