Can't open files from iCloud

Hello, I am very new to Dorico. I’ve downloaded it on both Desktop and iPad and I am trying to move a composition from the Desktop to the iPad so I can edit it on the go as needed. I uploaded the file to iCloud, and opened from iCloud on my iPad. It opens it fine, but gives me the message “file has been deleted, rename file to preserve your changes?” If I press ‘rename’, nothing happens. The file name at the top of the composition is incorrect however (showing me the name of the previous file I had open on the iPad, even though the file I’m looking at is the downloaded one).

If I exit out of the file and go back to the hub, I cannot find the file again. It’s not in my recents, and I actually have no idea how to get back to it.

On an unrelated note, is there a way to “save as” on iPad? I would like to save multiple versions of the same composition without having to recreate them each time and having a way to “save as” would be very helpful for that.

I appreciate any help, and my apologies if these are dumb questions - I did search to find if others had had the same issue, and it seems so, but from what I could tell, others were still able to work on their files and find them again, whereas I can’t seem to.

Hi there @che_g & welcome to the forum!

I only joined very recently myself & probably for the same reason as you.

Many people have posted about filing problems with the recent 2.3 version of Dorico for iPad, especially related to iCloud storage. If you read through the most recent topics over the last week or so, most of them refer to this in one way or another.

Steinberg don’t have a solution at the moment, though they are working hard to find one, so hopefully it will be resolved soon.

Have you tried emailing or messaging the Dorico project file to yourself from the desktop version, then opening it on the iPad? The app defaults to local storage (though it indicates the opposite in ‘Settings’). This is a workaround that has helped some people.

Anyway, you are not alone & hopefully the issue will be fixed soon.

Hi @Eagle2 , thank you so much for your response. I have tried emailing it, but I can’t seem to download the attachment as there is no option for such that I can find in my Outlook app. I then used a file transfer site that gave me a download link, but it simply opens the file directly into complete gibberish. I cannot then even find the original file in the downloads section of my iPad in order to manually open it with Dorico. I will admit that Apple’s file storage systems absolutely does my head in and I can never figure them out (the iPad is a recent acquisition so I am still figuring that it out as well!). Like, it claims my iCloud is nearly full but it only shows like barely 15 files (almost all of which are pdfs).

I then looked at how to transfer files from PC to iPad and most of the suggestions were to use iCloud (or a USB, but my iPad has one of those little proprietary ones so I can’t just plug it in to my PC). I admit as well that I find Apple so frustrating that it makes my brain turn off sometimes! :smile:

It is good to know that a solution is being worked, I might just have to be patient I guess!

You’re very welcome @che_g!

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help. There are some very experienced members here & Steinberg staff monitor the forum & regularly contribute. Hopefully someone who is familiar with your particular issues will reply.

I’m puzzled by the ’Save as’ myself. There is supposed to be a keyboard command:
’Shift Cmd S’ for Mac, but I’ve never managed to get it to work on the iPad.

Welcome to the forum, Ché. Your project is not really lost, but it is ending up in a folder inside your iCloud Drive that is unhelpfully hidden (for reasons that are not really clear to us at this stage, and Apple’s developer documentation is frustratingly vague on this point).

If you have a Mac, you should find that the project is synced to the iCloud Drive folder on your Mac, and if you’re really lucky, you may find that there’s already a Dorico folder in there visible in the Finder, in which case your project will be in there.

If you don’t see the folder in the Finder, you can nevertheless find it using the Terminal. I describe the method in this post:

We are indeed working on these issues at the moment, and we will announce news of updates here on the forum and on the Dorico blog.

Thank you for your reply! I am glad to know it’s being investigated.

Unfortunately, my desktop is a Windows PC, which of course complicates things even more

Do you have your iCloud Drive synced to your PC? If so, then you should nevertheless find the project file there.

Hello!

I’d like to ask, mostly out of curiosity, could Dorico for iPad possibly remember the folder from the last Save, and use that for it’s Auto-save location? Since starting with Dorico, I have completed eight projects and only three of them have made it to the Dorico folder on my iPad. I have a Bluetooth QWERTY keyboard (for PC/iOS/Mac) and have yet to manage to manually save a project on my iPad. I save my projects to Dropbox as often as I can remember. Dorico is fantastic for creating scores/parts and amazingly good intuitive for my old mind.

Thanks,

Doug

Every project that you start in Dorico should, at the moment, be saved in the Dorico folder in iCloud Drive, which may or may not be a hidden folder in the Files app, depending (we think) on exactly which versions of Dorico for iPad you’ve had installed on your device. The next update will provide an option to allow you to choose whether projects are saved to the app’s local storage or to iCloud Drive by default.

Where are you finding the projects getting saved now?

Daniel,

Sorry for the delay (USA here). I checked my file locations (Dorico folder on iPad & iCloud) and neither location is showing any project files). All of the current projects are those that I manually saved in Dropbox. If I attempt to save in “Files on my iPad”, a blank menu pops up, disappears and no file is saved. Odd ……

Thanks,

Doug

What version of iPadOS are you running, Doug?

Daniel,

I’m running v15.5.

Doug

OK, thanks for letting me know.