Can't overide dynamic data with CC1

No, it didn’t, but it depends precisely what you do. It comes down to how the data from the CC1 editor is interspersed with the profile created from the dynamics in the score and then the edits made in the dynamics editor. It does get added at the end, so you can override the dynamics in the dynamics editor, but you need to ensure that your data is added as a complete region, i.e. by drawing a freehand sweep with the draw/pencil tool or using the line tool.

Take a look at the attached project, for example. In the dynamics editor, I’ve drawn in an exaggerated sforzando in place of the one written in the music, but then I’ve also drawn in an opposite dynamic in the CC1 editor, and that is what is played. But as you look at the CC1 profile, you will see that the individual points I have created in the editor following that sort of inverted sforzando do not overwrite the whole profile, instead simply being interspersed between the profile already created by the written diminuendo and the slight variation in per-note dynamics due to humanisation.

If you really want to interrupt the diminuendo, you need to either write a whole sweep of data in the CC1 editor, or you can simply add a point in the dynamics editor – try it in the attached file and hopefully you will see the difference. A single point added in the middle of the green region corresponding to the diminuendo hairpin will stop that region and leave the dynamic at the level you specified.

This is why I say that for editing dynamics, you should use the dynamics editor. If your dynamics are using CC1, I can’t think of any tangible benefit to editing the CC1 values directly, whereas the benefits of editing the dynamic profile directly in the dynamics editor seem clear – you will avoid any odd discontinuities caused by the original profile “peeking through”.

Hope this makes things clearer.

cc1-override.dorico (455.1 KB)

1 Like