Can't shorten multiple hairpins

@Dup is correct. The default Key-command uses Control not Shift. In my experiments my muscle memory took over and I was using Control instead of Shift. I would try temporarily removing your Keycomands.json file and see if it works.

With all dynamics both linked and grouped, just select one of the mps. Shift-alt left then works across all. (at least it does for me).

I don’t link, as I find it problematic.

My key commands haven’t been changed. I’m not sure what’s going on, but I’ll let it ride. Thanks.

@Dan: you’re right: there is a problem (you are no more alone), it’s not working at 100%: very strange and no deduction can be drawn

In write mode : depending the number of “mp” selected sometimes it’s shift ( for one selected) and sometimes it’s Ctrl that works…and sometimes after a few tries it no longer works.

The solution that seem to work (perhaps close everthing and re-open dorico) :
In write mode select all the mp than

• Edit > Dynamics > link
  • select one “mp” and now shift+ alt and left arrow works
    best regards
    dup

Thanks @Dup for looking into this. Well, linking is not what I prefer; easiest to do the first one, then Duplicate to Staff Below.

I’m sure the team is busy with preparing for version 4, but maybe at some point we’ll find out why it’s behaving this way. More of just reporting an inconsistency than a significant problem for me. Thanks.

I find dynamic linking very helpful! I don’t know what the intended behaviour is the other way.

Normally this does link them, but now that you’ve turned off the switch in Prefs you haven’t been enjoying the advantage. I struggled with linked dynamics several times over a few weeks until I understood where they should and shouldn’t be used. In the right circumstances (such as this case) it’s a good thing.

No, I’m quite adamant here. I clean up scores all the time from composers who have misused linked dynamics, and the results can be disastrous. Dynamics can literally vanish without warning, or be moved when you don’t intend them to be.

I’m sure if I were master of my score from start to finish, I might feel differently. But when I get a score from a composer, the first thing I do is select all dynamics and unlink them.

Understandable. I have gradually avoided working with files from others over the years.