Can't start Cubase 8: DWM Composition is not running.

Can’t start Cubase 8: getting error: DWM Composition is not running. Please switch to aero theme.
i have aero turned on and using ATI radeon HD 5450 video card

Check the Knowledgebase

https://www.steinberg.net/nc/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/windows-7-error-message-dwm-composition-is-not-running-please-switch-to-an-aero-theme.html?tx_p77sbknowledgebase_pi1[o_system]=en%2Fsupport%2Fknowledgebase_new.html&tx_p77sbknowledgebase_pi1[productfamily]=2&tx_p77sbknowledgebase_pi1[product]=en%2Fsupport%2Fknowledgebase_new.html

tried that. didnt help.

but found an answere here:

“Go back to the big list again and look for a field that says “Desktop Windows Manager Session Manager”. Then right-click and choose properties. Then change the “Startup type” to “Automatic” and click the “Start”-button. Then click APPLY!!!”

ironaicaly enough i had my windows optimized for daw by popular suggestions from verious websites, including steinberg i believe, recomending turning off “desktop windows manager session manager” for better daw performance.

Unfortunately most of these optimization tips found all around the web are for older Windows versions (XP or even older) and obsolete hardware. Just don’t follow them unless you really know what you are doing. Some of the tips may introduce slight performance boost, most don’t have any measurable effect and some even hurt the performance.