Careful if you rely on Steinberg Support

Info only.
Just to report, in case it affects anyone else, I contacted Steinberg Support on 28 February 2021 asking how I could log out of the forum (as I habitually log out of sites). I received a reply yesterday, 2 months later.

I hadn’t thought it a complicated question but not only they didn’t answer. Instead, they logged me out of the forum, which I hadn’t asked for! I’m still none the wiser about how I sign out from here.

So if you turn to them for support, be prepared for a long wait and an inappropriate response.

3 Likes

I’m sure that’s an outlier rather the usual experience.

You could have always asked here.

Can I ask why you habitually log out? I try to remain permanently ‘remembered’ as I’m back here so often.

1 Like

the forum is tied to your “My Steinberg” account so you need to log off from there , not from within the forum itself

After a little mousing:

Click on your Icon in top right corner;
Then click on the little ‘head and shoulders’ icon.
Then select Preferences.
Under Security, you can see your sessions and log them out.

hmm – you’re right. I spent a couple minutes out of curiosity trying to find that and failed. VERY far from obvious. But then I don’t log out either…

You need three clicks:

1. Click on your icon in top right corner
  2. Click on ‘head and shoulders’ icon
  3. Click on ‘Log Out’
4 Likes

Generally I look from new posts at the top level and clicking further takes you to “preferences”. There is no logout there unless you go to the security tab which is not where I’d expect to find it or where I’ve ever seen it on any other forum to my knowledge. Doesn’t look like I’m the only one who didn’t spot it is directly accessible from the “head and shoulders” icon but then I’ve never had any reason to look there.

Anyway, maybe it’ll help someone else :smiley:
Such as the OP…

Maybe different browsers handle this differently, but it seems pretty straightforward on Chrome.

logout

1 Like

It’s the same on Firefox also.

It certainly works from the page that I am looking at (i.e. this or any other thread!)

David

Very standard, at least on Chrome. :grinning:

I’m not sure who these comments are addressed to – for my part I was only remarking that a logout as part of a security menu is rather strange. The fact that logout is frequently directly at the top level of user settings I don’t dispute.

My initial remark of it being tied to the MySteinberg was a bit over-hasty and from memory only, I freely admit :upside_down_face:

Yes, as I said it’s habitual and probably started some while ago when I had troubleshooting authority with a bank’s systems/programs. It was an instantly sackable offence to leave one’s computer logged on while away from it (if caught).
No matter. this message was a warning about the delay in responding then logging me out which I didn’t ask them to do…in case someone tries to use that support route. I was a newcomer at the time.

Thank you for pointing out where the log-out is. I found it whereas I failed to at the time I contacted support.

Indeed, Steinberg support can take months to respond. This is my personal experience, too.
End users on this forum are much more helpful.

1 Like

“Steinberg Support” is too generic for me. I can’t speak for the Cubase Team but let’s not put them all in the same category.

The Dorico team are exceptionally helpful and quick to answer (if others haven’t already) when there’s an issue. You can pretty much time Ulf with a stopwatch when there’s a systems problem.

Ivor and @ntsarb are no doubt referring to our in-house support team in Hamburg, who do indeed struggle through the sheer weight of tickets they receive to reply in a timely fashion. This requires a lot of different solutions – it’s not as simple as adding more support team members, though we have done that. We also need better technological solutions for users finding answers for themselves, smoother purchase and download processes, a different license management system, and so on, and so on. We’re working on all of these things, but they take significant time and energy. What I can tell you is that our support staff are dedicated and have a great deal of expertise, and they work very hard for all of our customers.

My advice would certainly be to post here on the forum rather than to raise a ticket with the support team. For one thing, you have an audience of hundreds, if not thousands, who can potentially answer your query if you post here.

5 Likes

I dare say that disturbing the extremely busy, great professional support team with a request to help a child to simply log out (!) and then ACCUSE the team of being too slow and doing the thing wrongly is a bit too much.

Let’s let the support guys deal with REAL issues NEEDING support.

Sorry and feel very free to flame me. :rofl: Well, I am actually not sorry. :joy:

I contacted Steinberg support for an issue with the license system about two months ago, but I haven’t received any answer yet. Yesterday I wrote again, if I’ll receive no answer I might post the issue in this forum

Why wait? They may be hoping that your question will be moot by the time your request surfaces.
:smile: David

Last week I had trouble with installing Dorico on my new computer. The Steinberg chat online system was slow to respond at first, but he did solve the problem immediately once we were connected. Maybe try the chat instead of email.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, the chat facility is only available for users in the US, who get support via our colleagues at Yamaha. The European support team don’t provide a live chat facility.