Caret freeze?

Is there a setting whereby you can freeze the automatic selection of the note value to the last one that was selected. I often find myself selecting the note value before double-clicking the caret on the score. It then defaults to a ‘crotchet’ and I have to make the note value selection again. I find I look at a score, then work out what value I need, then choose the caret position.

Dear Al,
This is like “fighting the software”… Why don’t you simply try and change your mindset?
The team has said they were not against duration after pitch, so one day you’ll be able to input notes differently in Dorico (and I know this is not what you’ve requested here). For the time being, try and work the way it’s designed for! Pitch before duration was requested by a lot of users, and is still not here. Not sure your (first time) request will have any chance to win real attention…
Sorry this is not helping

Marc, I don’t thin Al is asking for pitch before duration. Al, what you might be seeing here is the fact, that you can select a note (with a specific duration), then double click that note or start Note Input with Shift+N / Enter on that selection, and Note Input will then start with that note’s duration.

If that’s not the case, you shouldn’t be able to specify a duration outside Note Input anyway (assuming you have ‘Select’ mode enabled, the arrow key at the bottom left). I’d be curious to hear exactly what you’re doing in which order.

‘I’d be curious to hear exactly what you’re doing in which order’
That makes two of us Stefan.
The job I’m doing at the moment is transcribing what I’ve already recorded in Studio One 4. In the past I haven’t found midi export /XML very good. It seems to take a long time to fix things. As this was all recorded live into Studio One, I imagine the timing of midi events will be all over the place. I also wanted to investigate expression maps and how I could use the NI Symphony Series library that the song was recorded with, within Dorico, and if I could get to the position where the next songs I do (I’m doing an album of classical /cross-over stuff with my wife who’s a soprano), I could enter them straight into Dorico. Paul suggested then maybe exporting audio stems out of Dorico to then mix within Studio One (adding vox and live instruments). This sounds ideal.
So, in this score to get the parts in, yesterday I recorded myself counting the bars (1,2,3,4, 2,2,3,4 3,2,3,4 etc) so I had an audio count. I then exported all the instruments from Studio One as stems, with each instrument on the R channel and the count on the L (meaning I had about 25 wavs). This means I can hear each part with the count, to verify which bar we’re at. It sounds a lot of work, but it means you can zip fairly quickly through the parts. My computer isn’t powerful enough to have Studio One open and Dorico, hence the audio exports.
So in this job, I’m listening to each wav, and entering the data in Dorico.

I just did some tests but I can’t achieve what sometimes happens. It must be some kind of muscle memory, maybe a hark back to Sibelius. I haven’t used Dorico for almost a year. I don’t need notation all the time, so consequently I have to re-learn what I once knew. I know that this happens frequently though.
I think it’s something to do with having a part cued so I can hear the correct instrument. I sometimes cue the part by selecting a note in the part, or a rest within the part.
When I am arranging or composing, I ‘cue’ the part by highlighting say a note or a rest in that part (so I can hear the correct instrument). I’ll fiddle around with the sliders and notes to see which sound (within that score part /track / midi part …whatever the terminology is for the displayed instruments ) best suits what I’m trying to achieve (now that I have my expression maps setup I can try the different articulations).
Once I find what suits, I now work out what I need to write on the score.
Say I have an empty bar with a semibreve rest in it. I work out in my head what I need. I need two G minims. I select number ‘7’ on the keyboard. That moves the icon in the top left to the ‘minim’ selection (I don’t of course have to look at this because I’ve learned that number ‘6’ is a crotchet’ and often work out from there…5 a quaver, 7 a minim etc ). I then click the caret on the bar I need, press ‘G’ or the music keyboard, and then have to delete the note because the when I pressed the caret, the note duration reset to ‘crotchet’, not ‘minim’.
But as I say, if I repeat what I’ve just written it works differently.

I think what is happening is this.

I cue a part by highlighting a note in the part. | work out on the music keyboard what fits.
I then select the note duration (in the above example a ‘minim’) . Because the part is ‘cued’ on a note, it then alters that note. I then have to use CTRL + Z to get it back. I then get to the place in the score to enter the data, double-click to get the caret, but forget that the caret has now reset to a crotchet, enter the note G via keyboard or music keyboard and then find it’s the wrong value. It’s a crotchet, not a minim.

As I said, this is all user error and it’s just taken me about half an hour to figure out wrongs going wrong.
Sorry if you’ve read all this, but when you’re working at speed it’s hard to figure out what you’re doing wrong.
Hey hum.

Dorico will never alter a note when you play on your MIDI keyboard, even if it’s selected, unless you show the caret by hitting Shift+N or Return. This is one of the things that we really wanted to ensure could not happen in Dorico, so that making accidental changes to your music is as close to impossible as we can manage.

Thanks Daniel…and sorry you had to read all that.