CB 7.02 Mix Console Update discussion

An option is probably best but for my workflow, I am looking for different ways of presenting the data as “containers”.

Let me offer an example.

In the project window I have:

• tempo, time signature, markers, instrument & midi tracks, then finally groups, fx and VST outputs

In the mixer I’d like to have:

• Instrument & VST outputs, groups, fx, and then finally audio outs

The reason is because of the VST rack, since the outputs are essentially audio and are most useful (to me) in the mixer, in the order you would have with say a traditional console … whereas with the project page the opposite is true, in that the original MIDI tracks are more important.

This has been for as long as I can remember but it is only now that the mixer is of any use because of the enhanced functionality.

Very constructive post! For me they really need to fix this in 7.0.3 In a regular project I have like 5 to 10 plugins open. Once I click the mixer… poof they are gone. This clicking back and forth is driving me nuts!

+1

Also -

Buttons/keys commands for -

‘Reset to Default Zoom’
‘Lock Channel Width’
‘Save/Load MC Layout Preset’ - available globally (for all projects).

It’s getting there…slowly!

The problem with The Mix Console is it’s a case of “form over function” … on a big screen to just simply look, it is an impressive bit of GUI.

However using it, is another story. Initially I was very enthusiastic about the new mixer, but now I have attempted to do some payed work with it to a dead line, I have to be honest found the design paradigm to have too high a cognitive load, Frankly it’s exhausting to use.

I personally don’t care for the look of the mixer in 6.5 but it is very easy to use, and ultimately when it comes to mixing “ease of use” trumps “looks.”

I am a huge fan of Cubase, but I did find myself downloading a demo of Pro Tools 10 today, just to see what the mixer is like in that DAW.

I applaud SB for taking a gamble on a new mixer, I just think they could of added all the excellent new functionality without going for the “go faster stripes” GUI.

At this point, I’m a tad frustrated.

+1
obviously the designer of C7 have no clue of the work flow :frowning:

The only way you can have this now is if you widen the channels, and I doubt that will change anytime soon.

I just found out myself by accident. Yes, I wish I could have those numbers also on more narrow channels. Right now, in order to see the numbers, I have to make the channls real huge.

You might want to change your screen resolution if you can, and if the overall result is acceptable (not that everything is then too small). I use 1680 x 1050 and find that very acceptable.

PLEASE Put a UNDO button on the Mixer

You know what does my head in.
When you just want to turn a couple of plugins off so you can record glitch free you can’t hit the power on/off icon in the mixer window or insert window because all that does is bypass the damn thing.

There are two buttons Bypass and On/Off :wink:

eermm i may be wrong but last night using the on/off button on ONE insert in the mixer turned off all plugins on that channel even thou all the other plugins stayed active they were not active , anyone else noticed this ? the only way to use the inserts like that is to completely remove the deactivated plugin from the channel ?

basically it didn’t bypass the plugin it turned all the others off