(CBT-2479) Cubasis 3 Issue: MIDI Latency - Micrologue after edits/preset selection

Hi,

I am experiencing serious MIDI latency with Micrologue.

When I add a new instrument track and select Micrologue, the first preset I try seems fine. But after changing to another preset, or making an edit to the preset, I start to notice a latency between when I press the key on my keyboard, and when I hear the sound. Each edit, or each new preset selected, increases the latency. It becomes very noticeable, like more than a 32nd note. Restarting Cubasis resolves the issue, temporarily, until I make any further edits or preset selections.

I tried with Microsonic, the issue doesn’t occur, but if the latency has developed after using Micrologue, it is still there when changing the instrument to Microsonic. However, it does not affect any Microsampler tracks, or any tracks playing external instruments, I can select/unmute these and there is no latency on these tracks, but it does affect the track where Micrologue was edited and any Classic Machines track which was previously created, which play the note a fraction of a second after the other tracks. Again, restarting Cubasis resolves the issue.

Obviously, this makes editing a patch on Micrologue impossible.

This is not during recording or playback, this is when Cubasis is in “standby” mode, receiving MIDI from an external controller via a Audio/MIDI interface.

Hardware: iPad Air 3rd Gen (2019)
Audio/MIDI Interface: iConnectivity ConnectAUDIO 2/4 and Apple CCK

Software: iPadOS 14.3, Cubasis 3 V3.2.1, iConnectivity Firmware latest (V2.0.1)

I have previously reported similar MIDI latency issues, but they seemed to be caused by a MIDI plugin. There is definitely no MIDI plugin involved here. Maybe I am doing something wrong, perhaps with MIDI input channel selection or whatever, but my understanding is that Cubasis is supposed to listen to any MIDI input and apply it to the track, and if you don’t want to hear that input on a particular track, you just mute that track. That is how I’ve been working so far.

Thanks,

Marley

Hi @marley909,

Thanks for your message.

I am experiencing serious MIDI latency with Micrologue.

We are sorry to read this.

Up front, please try these steps first:
(1) Load an empty project
(2) Close all running apps, including Cubasis
(3) Fully shut down the iPad

Are you able to reproduce the problem, once restarting the iPad and Cubasis?
Alongside, please check the topic using Cubasis on its own (without using external hardware, 3rd party apps etc.).

Best wishes,
Lars

Hi Lars,

Thanks, I have tried some more experiments:

Following the procedure you recommended, the problem still persists. Once I open a MIDI track, select Micrologue, and start adjusting a preset, the latency develops, and gets bigger and bigger with each adjustment.

If I try the same procedure but also disconnect all hardware, put my headphones into the headphone socket, and try the same thing after restart, the problem is not there, but that is because I am triggering the Micrologue from the on-screen keyboard, where there is no latency.

If I try the same procedure (new project, close app, restart iPad), but this time reconnect my hardware, and check the difference between using the on-screen keyboard and using the external keyboard, there is no latency on the on-screen keyboard, but there is using the external keyboard.

Also, from my previous experiments, the same latency affects Classic Machines, but not Microsampler or Microsonic (unless the track was previously Micrologue and the latency was allowed to develop - it persists when changing the track type).

I hope you can fix this.

Many thanks,

Marley

Hi Lars,

I found out that there are some circumstances where the latency will reset without restarting Cubasis. I can’t be sure what exactly those circumstances are, but it behaves as if there is a background process waiting to finish causing the latency, and once it’s finished it’s reset. This has happened to me twice while just playing the Micrologue.

Thanks,

Marley

Hi @marley909,

Thanks for your message.

I found out that there are some circumstances where the latency will reset without restarting Cubasis. I can’t be sure what exactly those circumstances are…

Unfortunately we need a short repro in order to resolve the problem.
Hopefully you will find a pattern to make it happen again! If so, please share the steps with us!

Thanks
Lars

Hi Lars,

You have enough information to verify the problem already.

1. Set up an iPad Air 2019 with an external Audio/MIDI interface with Apple CCK
  2. Start Cubasis with a blank project
  3. Create a MIDI channel and choose Micrologue
  4. Change parameters of the Micrologue while triggering with an external MIDI keyboard

As each parameter change is made, you will notice a latency which will grow and grow with each parameter change.

That’s it.

I have just tried with the latest iPad OS. Same issue persists.

You can only reset the latency by restarting Cubasis. There seems to be some process by which the latency can reset by itself, that is just some insight I was providing to help your investigations.

This is getting to be a joke now, it looks to me like Cubasis should still be in beta and you don’t seem to be interested in fixing obvious bugs.

I reported this on 7th Feb, 5 weeks ago. The least you could do is verify the problem.

Thanks, Marley

Hi @marley909,

Thanks for your message, which has been shared with our engineering.

Best,
Lars

Hi @marley909,

Our engineering is able to reproduce the problem, and will evaluate a solution.

Thanks again
& stay well,
Lars

This is interesting as I’d raised a latency issue here:

& I’ve since noticed that it often happened after modifying sounds in Micrologue.

Perhaps @LSlowak it’s the same issue?

Thanks for raising this @marley909

Hi @marley909,

Please expect the issue to be resolved in the upcoming Cubasis update.

Best,
Lars

Thanks Lars,

Any idea when the new update will land?

The fact that this bug got through testing suggests MIDI has not been in any way your priority for Cubasis, which I think is a shame. I note you have received many requests for full MIDI implementation to be able to control Cubasis itself via MIDI, which would be so handy. I have a MIDI controller keyboard with lots of knobs and faders, and it would be great to be able to map various Cubasis functions via a MIDI Learn facility. I understand the focus on the touchscreen and full portability, but the iPad makes a really nice “alternative computer”, with the potential to be the hub of a music-making setup without the workaday feel of a normal laptop/desktop. I hope you will be able to put more focus on MIDI functionality for future updates, it’s a weakness right now.

Anyway, I look forward to the next update!

Thanks,

Marley

Hi @marley909,

The upcoming update will include great new user-requested features.
Please be patient, it will be worth the wait…

Best,
Lars