CC to NRPN?

Hi,

MIDI CC38 is LSB for Control 6 (Data Entry). So actually this is the value. But before you have to send the info, what data is going on.

By using CCs 98 and 99 you define the parameter (NRPN), by sending CC6 and CC38 you define the value of the parameter. So if you want to change two NRPNs at the same time, you always have to send:

• 98 val 1 (param 1): Definition of the parameter LSB
  • 99 val 2 (param 1): Definition of the parameter MSB
  • 38 val A: Value of the parameter

• 98, val 3 (param 2): Definition of the parameter LSB
  • 99 val 4 (param 2): Definition of the parameter MSB
  • 38 val B: Value of the parameter

The same is with RPN (CCs 100 and 101).

Ok, I think I’m getting a handle on this…at least in terms of how it is handled in Cubase.

Is it a limitation of Cubase or a limitation of NRPN data that you can’t really control more than one NRPN at once? If I try to do LFO and Distortion concurrently, for example, I get conflicting midi data in CC38. So when it plays back, I get all sorts of glitches because it’s jumping back and forth between the two parameters instead of fluidly moving them both independently. Not to mention that it’s super hard to change data after the fact, like if I need to visually edit the LFO to ramp up to a specific point, it’s always in CC38 so I could be affecting values from another parameter.

That’s a limitation of RPN and NRPN. If you want to control two parameters that use RPN/NRPN at the same time then you have to use all of these 3 MIDI CCs every other MIDI tick for it to work correctly.