CD Montage behaviour 10.0.20

Hi all …

The last thing I did yesterday … in 10.0.10 … was a reference CD montage that I left on the screen to come back to today.

This was fine … and in this case all the tracks were an ‘even’ length … that is m/s/00ms.

I downloaded the new update 10.0.20.

Now, when I look at the same montage the start finish times are no longer the same … specifically the markers are now at the same position, but the CD says something different … eg m/s/74ms.

This is confirmed when a CD report is printed and also in Sonoris DDP.

I assembled the same montage in 9.5. It was fine … m/s/00ms. All the markers and CD positions were as they should be. Open this same montage in WL10 and … the CD times are different once again.

I cannot understand this. 10.0.10 was fine. It was stable and completely functional for me.

I did not use CD wizard to construct the montage.

Can anyone suggest where I went wrong or is this a ‘bug’.

One small difference introduced in 10.0.20, is that CD Splice markers are quantized by rounding the position down rather than up. This change was done following some user complains.
If you want to control quantizing, you have to check the option in the CD wizard. Then the markers won’t “move”. Else WaveLab does it automatically when quantizing is required (eg. DDP creation), according to the rules:

• CD track start rounded down
  • CD track end rounded up
  • CD track splice rounded down (was up before).

To know if this is your case: are you speaking about CD track splice markers?

Yes … track splice markers But I manually assembled the montage … not using CD Wizard.

In that case, you can use the CD Wizard only to quantize markers. Uncheck all options but the Quantize one. It is better to do so to avoid any surprise, when you insert markers manually and if you need CD frame accuracy.

Thank you PG!

Appreciate the explanations and help.

The reason for this ‘accuracy’ requirement is that some labels prefer m/s/00ms

The reason for this ‘accuracy’ requirement is that some labels prefer m/s/00ms

This should be possible, but you have to take into account the rounding I mentioned.

Are you saying in the markers tab, you see differences in marker times between the same montage in 9.5 and 10.0? That seems a little odd.

Some changes were made to marker quantizing so that CD Track Splice Markers are rounded down instead of up but I think pre-rendering, the markers should be the same. Quantizing splice markers backwards seems more safe in preventing an issue where the first sound or downbeat are chopped off unexpectedly. Even though theory I leave ~200ms between the marker and the first sound of a track, in some specific cases, this can’t always be true.

As far as I know, the changes made were for cases where you either manually quantize the markers (with the CD wizard), or if you render a DDP (or burn a CD), the markers will be automatically quantized for you and that’s where you can see a difference in the track times just slightly from the source montage.

Because of this, I always quantize markers I do any rendering. This way, the DDP and master ways will be 100% cohesive.

All that said, can’t think of a case where a client wanted files to be Xmin XXsec and 00ms specifically.

So the question is, are you seeing differences in the markers times before you render? Or after?

Are you saying in the markers tab, you see differences in marker times between the same montage in 9.5 and 10.0? That seems a little odd.

I think he mentions a single CD frame difference, and this is caused by the rounding change.

Hmm, so you’re saying that previously created montages that had markers already quantized would quantize differently when opened in 10.0.20?

Hmm, so you’re saying that previously created montages that had markers already quantized would quantize differently when opened in 10.0.20?

Not at all, this is the opposite: non-quantized splice markers will be quantized differently.

OK. I’m a little lost on what the issue is but all seems good here.