CD or digital to music supervisors

I am wondering what to send music supervisors of film companies or TV. A CD or a login password(to download after stream) from webpage. What would be taken most serious?

Hi,

Do you have a website at all?

I didn’t check on your profile but to my mind a web link is most convenient however the problem of course is what format to use.

.wav files are good because the quality is there but maybe you need 32 bit float, which complicates the situation as the file can be huge even as just a “regular” wav file.

Alternatively if you use .mp3 or another lossy format then that might be a cause for concern due to quality but I find good results using the LAME encoder.

A DVD might be best because you can create interactive menus, but as for a CD just for music, not unless it is asked for.

I you want a decent file host, avoid at all costs web based services.

What I use is a company called drivehq which is excellent because they have their own dedicated FTP application, as well you can generate share links (public and private) and one application they offer is if you have a domain name you can point it to their servers and use it as a basic web host to serve web pages and other media which is both reliable and free but limited to 1GB.

This might help as well if you want to use traditional media:

Thx. I really want the cost down so I am thinking of setting up a login on my artist website with a pin code that shows the album or in both wave and mp3 ziped and also have a single file download. So when I contact the music supervisor I give a link to the website which has a mp3 player and also a pin code for download. Easy for them and really cheap compared to sending cds which costs a bunch. The only downside is that it`s easy to delete or forget.

Read this on Billboard.biz

– Most music supervisors prefer digital submissions of music. So if possible, send e-mail with links, streams or MP3s. ?One of the supervisors that works for me loves CDs. But I hate them,? Schnur said. ?I don?t want to deal with it. I deal with YouSendIt or MP3s. Love it.? Glasser noted that 80% of the music he receives via e-mail contains links to an artist?s music. Play-Tone Company?s Deva Anderson added, ?In my office we do digital-only, so we don?t accept any CDs anymore. It?s a lot easier if you have a website to let us know what site it is.? Felder said she accepts CD submissions, but asks songwriters to ?please write neatly so I can read it. If you don?t have money for stickets, take a wide piece of masking tape an write the information and stick it right on the CD. Make it as neat of a presentations as possible.?

Hello,

The service I use is drivehq.com (located in California) and it is an awesome service, as about the only restriction you will experience is if you want to upload a file over 50mb, it will stop and ask you to continue, as well as a splash screen on startup.

If you own a domain name you can register as a “True Member” which removes some other restrictions that frankly I’ve forgotten about a long time ago and now I simply enjoy the service, particularly the web host function which saves me on hosting fees (all I pay for now is yearly registration of a domain name) while at the same time I can create private links (using drivehq’s domain) for emails and social networks that are completely separate from the website but can point to the same or different files.

HTH’s