"CD" Tool Window Greyed out in WL 9.5

Just got WL again after 10 years without it. Trying to make a CD from one long file of a live show. Made the Montage, inserted and named all the track markers, and now I want to check conformity. Under the Tool Windows menu I see “CD” and a few other kinds of window are greyed out. The manual says that what’s visible depends on the source file type you are working with. Great, I’m working with an Audio Montage with a wave file in it. There is nothing I can find in the manual to tell me how to actually un-grey the CD tool window precisely, or even vaguely.

Can someone please enlighten me?

Thanks,

Chad

Based on what I see in the screen shot, you are actually in the audio editor portion of WaveLab and not in the audio montage where all the CD type tools are found.

If you press SHIFT + T it should open that file in a new audio montage for you.

That was it Justin! Thank you so much! I had made a new audio montage when I started, but it was confusing what was going on. It’s also new that it is making a new copy of the files. You used to edit nondestructively only within the app, leaving the file in place, then just export a final CD file. Anyway, there’s a lot going on with this newer WaveLab.

Thanks again,

Chad

I’m not sure what you’re doing but the montage doesn’t by default make new files, it just non-destructively edits your source files.

The audio editor is a destructive environment but as you found out, there are no CD/album layout tools and options. I work in the montage nearly 100% of the time. The only time a new file is made is when I render new files after I dial in the sounds. There are a few other special processes that create a ew file such as SuperClips, or if the montage is a different sample rate than the source file(s) but generally speaking, the montage will not create a new file when you load in a file unless it really needs to.

100% of the time, my montages are simply referencing existing files, never making new copies.

[/quote]

I’m not sure what you’re doing but the montage doesn’t by default make new files, it just non-destructively edits your source files.

The audio editor is a destructive environment but as you found out, there are no CD/album layout tools and options. I work in the montage nearly 100% of the time. The only time a new file is made is when I render new files after I dial in the sounds. There are a few other special processes that create a ew file such as SuperClips, or if the montage is a different sample rate than the source file(s) but generally speaking, the montage will not create a new file when you load in a file unless it really needs to.

100% of the time, my montages are simply referencing existing files, never making new copies.
[/quote]

I thought I was working in the montage section, but I guess I was in the audio editor. I just opened up a new blank project, and I dragged my hour long file into that, thinking it was a montage, then I added chapter markers, but I guess I was doing that to an audio file. I need to just go straight to an Audio Montage next time. The CD burned fine and imported into iTunes, which is what I wanted. BUT even though I thought I had filled out all the album and individual track info, it still didn’t transfer to iTunes. The tracks came up named “Track1, Track2” etc. So I had to manually enter that into itunes.

Is there a section in WaveLab that I can enter that info so my CDs can import with the track info? Do I have to have IRSC codes for that?

Thanks again,

This is because iTunes can’t read CD-Text. You need to submit a CD’s info to Gracenote database for iTunes to display that info.

So what you see is probably normal, and if you have filled out the CD-Text info correctly, that’s the best you can do. ISRCs are irrelevant here.

More here:

I use one of Doug’s Scripts to quickly transpose CD-Text to CD Info/Metadata in iTunes which can then be submitted to Gracenote.

It turns a tedious task into just a few clicks but due to the nature of how Gracenote works, you only want to do this with the FINAL master because it goes based on the number of tracks, and their respective lengths, and it takes some time to go live in the Gracenote database.