Centering two-line instrument names in staff labels

Hi, I’d like to have the bottom staff of my score to be labelled as ‘Basso Continuo’, in two centered lines. I proceed to Setup → click on the ‘>’ arrow to the right of the bottom ‘Basso Continuo’ → ‘Edit Names’. I choose ‘Align Center’, as evidenced in my first screenshot. However, as you can see in the second screenshot, the lines are actually aligned to the right. What should I do?

You have to ensure that this dropdown is set to a paragraph style that is centered by default:

Oh boy. Thanks very much! One weird lesson for me from this is:

– changing the font size of the selected instrument name seems to always work;
– however, changing the alignment of the selected instrument name works only if I set the paragraph style so that it is by default aligned in the way I want it to be.

Is that so? I would have never guessed. I assumed that since the alignment options are clickable and have visible consequences in the ‘Edit Instrument Names’ menu, the result would be visible in the score, and I was really surprised to see that was not the case.

I feel kind of stupid asking these basic questions, sorry, but on the other hand, I feel I must have missed this when reading the documentation… I would never think that when editing a staff label I should set the paragraph style to be something else than ‘staff label’.

There is indeed a Note midway through the help page, here. It actually appears four times on that page!

As a mere user I don’t know the ins and outs of why it works the way it works, but I’m guessing that the text editing section is a bit of UI that’s reused in lots of different parts of the software, for efficiency, but it’s hooked up in different ways behind the scenes.

This makes perfect sense! Thanks!

And oh boy, I mist be getting blind. I had read through that page and somehow completely missed those ‘Notes’… oh dear.