Challenges with VSL Synchronized Solo strings and Dorico Pro

I purchased VSL Synchronized Solo Strings with “Con Sordino” samples.

I’ve downloaded and installed the playback templates & Expression Maps for such instruments, have read through the QuickStart Guide, watched the video on VSL website and after several trials, I can’t get a simple playback of one solo violin.

Anyone know what I’m missing?

I was given the impression that “everything” would work seamlessly using the score indications showing up in the techniques & dynamics panel, but nothing works.

I’m talking about :

Sustained notes, crescendo & diminuendo, staccato, con sordino, natural harmonics, tremolo, etc., which I believe are basic notations in a score.

In this example, Synchron plays a short note instead on a long one and doesn’t do the < > indicated.

Starts with:

Then something changes it to:

How do I go about solving this challenge?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Looks like you have applied the wrong playback template… ?

Yes, Celestial Strings is one of their free instruments, and not typical of their mainline instruments in its use of keyswitches.

I don’t think there is an expression map set for the full Synchronized Solo Strings product, but the Special Edition maps might get you started at least.

There definitely is a Playback template for the synchronized solo strings, i’ve been using it for months :wink:

1 Like

Hi. Sorry, don’t know why the Synchron screenshot shows Celestial Strings, which I know is the free instrument.
The settings shown in both shots are from the Solo Strings.
I know now that VSL has expression maps and templates for the basic presets.
I guess I’ll need to create a new preset that has all the articulations, etc. I need (regular and con sordino) solo strings, and edit/include in the EM what’s missing, unless I’m missing something that would be much simpler to achieve what I need.
I know VSL Synchron is to be used as one player only. It’s different than Halion, where you can have up to 16 different instruments, all assigned to different players.
I’m confused right now…to be continued I guess.

Hey,

had the same problem, and the solution seems to be the preset you use. Dorico has preset expression maps (playback section in Dorico) for the basic preset in VSL SYzed Solo Strings (in Synchron Player), not the full preset, it seems.

Regards

surely the VSL template loads in the correct Synchron player template automatically when you choose the appropriate playback configuration --in this case SYzd solo strings? A quick look at this would seem to suggest that’s the case. It certainly is true that VSL only support the basic presets and if you want to use the full presets, you should create your own maps (which I have done for various other reasons as there are far too many issues with the “official” ones)

If I remember correctly, the expression maps supplied by VSL are for the reduced set of articulations, and don’t use VelXF control for dynamics. Therefore, dynamic hairpins are not played back. You can check the preset to see if this is true.

An easy workaround would be adding the CC assigned to the VelXF fader in the presets to the expression map items, and ten the fader on in the preset.

Paolo

yes, there has been much discussion on the VSL forum about their (in my view, insane) decision to use velocity instead of VelXF for dynamics in their maps. That’s at least one thing you can fairly quickly correct with them, though.

1 Like

The Expression Maps are already set to also use CC2… so in order to use VelXF one simply has to activate the fader in the SY player …

1 Like