Change a default metronome click sound

Is there a default setting for metronome click in preferences?

In Play/Playback Options/Click/Click sound you can choose between Click, Beep, and Wood Block. You can adjust volume and any sort of reverb or other Send in the Mixer.

1 Like

And since Dorico 3.5 you can even exchange the woodblock sounds with your own sounds. Have a look at How to use custom click samples in Dorico? - #3 by Ulf - Dorico - Steinberg Forums

1 Like

Sir…,This Helped me SO Much!! Thank you! I could not for the life of me figure out how to change that horrible Beep!!

2 Likes

Yes, I was delighted after changing it to the woodblock!

Play/Playback Options/Click/Click
As far as I can see this doesn’t exist for me. I’ve been through every page and every menu without any luck. Can’t find playback options anywhere.

Are you using Dorico Pro 3.5? It’s there. If you are using another version or an older version perhaps it isn’t available. Ulf’s link above shows how to customize it even further.

Only Dorico Pro has those Playback Options. If you are on Dorico Elements or SE and still want to change the metronome to a wood block (or other sound), here is the workaround:
Simply load into HSSE into the last slot the ‘GM Woodblock’ sound. Then, in Play Mode, on the left it says “Time”, unfold that track and you see DoricoBeep. That is actually a drop down list and if you click on it, you can also choose HSSE. Once you did that, you just need to adjust the Channel from 1 to 16. Done.

Thanks for your help. I am on Elements. I’ll try what you suggested, Ulf.
Though I will say, this just doesn’t seem like a pro option to me. Maybe the metronome setting in Cubase pro and elements compared to AI an Le makes the Metronome a step up in higher level versions. But just having a couple of different clicks is a bit cheap.
I’ll get it sorted though.

Hi Ulf - since upgrading to D4 Elements I no longer seem to be able to do this - I cannot see a “Time” label as you indicate in Play mode

. Somehow though, I seem to have one project, created in D4 Elements which defaults to a woodblock sound, in 12/8, but have just started another which I simply cannot find a way of replicating metronome settings. Any help gratefully appreciated.

and to be clear, here is the other page with Beep, and when Beep clicked open there seems to be no dialogue to either change to woodblock or re-direct to Halion SE

Things are a little different in Dorico 4 due to the changes in Play mode. You can’t choose between the woodblock and UREI-style click in Dorico Elements because you don’t have access to Playback Options, but you can load an entirely different instrument there.

Hi @Dr_Scardo , you click on the Tempo track and then on the left on Inspector tab and in there click on Routing and you can change from DoricoBeep to HSSE. .

Thanks @Ulf - I’ve tried all that and still get the beep!
CORRECTION - needed to dis-able and re-enable metronome for the change to take place, thanks you!

1 Like

Hi, I have tried to follow all the instructions/ suggestions here, but I can get no sound from the click, except an odd ticking sound - not even a beep. I can’t set a woodblock or any other sound. I am a new user, using Dorico Elements 4.3. Please help.

In Dorico Elements you don’t have access to the Playback Options dialog from where you can change the click settings; that dialog is only included in Dorico Pro. You can, however, select the Tempo track in the track overview in Play mode and choose a different plug-in, so if you have a patch that provides e.g. a whole keyboard’s worth of woodblock sounds, you could use that.

1 Like

Thank you. That has solved my problem.