Change Duration and Add Rest

Goal: Turn a 1/4 note into an 1/8 note and 1/8 rest.

Problem: When I select the 1/4 and click the 1/8 note in the notes palette, I get an 1/8 note, but then all the following notes shift left. There is no space for the rest.

Idea: Is the only solution to go ahead and change the 1/4 to 1/8, and then use the insert carat to add the rest? I’d rather just change the note and let Dorico keep everything else as is.

Make sure Insert mode is off.

Jesper

1 Like

Wow. That was easy–thanks.

Can’t believe this wasn’t mentioned in Groove3 or MacProVideo training. It’s crucial fir MIDI import cleanup.:sunglasses:

Yes, Insert mode should only be used if you want to insert/delete notes and have the following music move ahead/back by the inserted/deleted length.
That sounded more complicated than it is. :grinning:

Jesper

Gotcha. Thanks. You explained it well.

Having notes move left in insert mode after a delete does not seem intuitive, but once you know how it works, it’s no problem. :sunglasses:

It’s just like deleting in a stream of text – except that there may be other concurrent staves, which is why Dorico now has 4 insert modes.

We’re so used to insert mode in text now, I bet most people don’t know/remember that half a century ago overstrike was the default behavior on computers.