Change from 5 line staff to one

Maybe it has been already answered but I cannot find anything that helps.

If I have a soprano part in a 5 line staff and then I want only a single line because she stops singing and she starts reading, how can that be accomplished?

I tried adding another instrument to her part, like a percussion part but then if I insert the instrument change in the galley view I do have the change from 5 to 1 but I’ll always have the note of this instrument, and I can’t find a way to hide that.

Any suggestions?

Thank you very much

I think you’re going about it the right way. You should find that you can hide a note on the one-line staff by making it transparent via the Color property, and still get the necessary instrument change.

I think I found another way, that is to reduce the note to 1%.
Because if you try to hide th note via the color property then you have to shorten the stems, then you have to change the color of the slurs, then you have 1/32 notes with very complicated stems etc etc…

In this way at least you do everything in one move. Maybe it’s not the best way to do that?

Thank you Daniel

Good morning Daniel,

Will there be a more straighforward way of doing instrument changes in the future? (even if it means changing staff types as in this case)

No, we’re happy with the way instrument changes work in Dorico and consider them about as straightforward as they can be, i.e. you don’t need to do them!

I’m trying to do the same thing, but with a choir using Section players - I don’t think it can be done. So I suppose the solution is to use an individual player instead of section players, and put additional “soprano 2” instruments etc in the soprano part for when they go into divisi?

Solo players can’t do divisi, and section players can’t do instrument changes.