Change input volume in Cubase?

Hi!
I’m new to Cubase since a couple of weeks and I have ran into some problems or such…

One is the input signal from an electrical guitar or bass. The signal is sometimes a bit high so it turns on the red thing on the Transporter/Inspector and on the Mixer…perhaps (I guess they are all showing the same input signal). I’ve learned that you should try to avoid getting a “red” signal because the recording can become bad or distorted, etc.

So my question: Is there no way to turn down the input signal/volume from inside of Cubase? Do I always have to adjust it on my guitar/bass or on my audio device (Steinberg UR22)? There seem only to be ways to turn the listening volume down in Cubase but not the input signal from the audio device, using Audio Tracks.

Hope you understand the question. /many regards!

Whenever you are “going into red” in Cubase you have already clipped in your Analog/Digital converter. Cubase (or any DAW) can’t do anything about it. Only way to resolve the problem is to lower input volume on your instrument, preamp or audio interface.

Everything before the AD converter in your interface is controlled by the hardware controls, not by Cubase. So no, if you want to prevent your AD converter from clipping, you’ll have to lower the signal on the hardware that comes before it. That can be the preamp on the interface, or the instrument, whichever is more convenient/sounds better.

I’d strongly recommend you search YouTube for “Gain Staging” and check out some of those videos. A typical electric guitar with passive controls has no amplification, it’s volume knob is an attenuator, and as such, for purest signal should generally be set full up. From there you need to ensure you’re plugging into something with the proper impedance, such as an amp (if your recording it miced) or perhaps an effects board such as a POD or other. Many mixers and some interfaces have a D.I. input (or switch on an input) built in otherwise you’ll need a discreet D.I.

That is correct and how I also approach input gain. Leave the resistance to the interface. Most interfaces have attenuation switches or knobs designed for just this purpose. Even if you have a digital or analog processor between your instrument and interface, the interface should be the desired means of input control. Yes, it can be done from the instrument but as previously mentioned, in the case of a guitar or bass, the tone will change to the thinner side which is ok if that’s what you’re looking for. But if you’re looking for your tone to be fat, you will lose.
Even when an interface has a built in preamp, I would always suggest a direct box or processor with a built in preamp if you are plugging in directly. If you’re mic’ing an amp, I would approach the same way providing you’re not overdriving the mic transducer.