Change instrument

When I have a score with voice an piano and play it, the voice sounds horrible. I would like to change it to something else. In Sibelius this is really simple. But in Dorico I can’t find out how to do this. (And the »manual« says nothing.) Is this possible? And how?

Go to play mode (cmd-4), in the right panel you see a rounded e left to Halion, click on that, it is the editor.
In that Halion window, there is a list on the left, it is the players of your score with the instruments chosen automatically. You should change the singer instrument, since it is well known (if you search in this forum) that the ahh to ooh choir sound is unusable.

Nina,
In the Play menu, try “Load Sounds for Unassigned Instruments” and “Apply Default Playback Template” to see if either loads your sounds for you. Also be sure you have not created to HALion instances and are looking at the wrong one (as I have, on occasion).

I’m surprised you can hear a piano sound, or any sound at all, if your active instance of HALion has no sounds assigned.

I’m having issues with this too - when I open the editor, it only gives me “First Contact,” not my instruments (SATB) - I tried to select choir, and now I have no sound anymore… Would someone be able to help me? I’m sure it must have been selected somewhere, but I can’t find where to change it… Thank you!!

Nina,

Our messages seem to have gotten out of order. Please see my mssg above yours.