change instruments one player

Dear collective wisdom,

I am sorry if this is a simple, perhaps already answered question, but I can’t find it in help or in the forum:

How does one change from, say, flute to piccolo on one line? I already know how to set up one player with multiple instruments. Once this is done, how does one insert an instrument change?

And will this work on a percussion line?

And in percussion, can one go from a single line non-pitched percussion part to marimba or vibraphone?

Thanks,
David F

You don’t need to insert an instrument change: just switch to galley view and input the music for flute and piccolo where needed, and when you switch back to page view, the instrument change is created for you.

1 Like

Thank you. That works and is logical. I had not discovered galley view!

Brilliant. That function is really clever. Thank you.
I’m working on a píece of Wagner with horns in E (mostly), but also in F and Eb. (and more)
The E-horn I just notate as in the original score and put it one step up to a D-horn, remembering accidentials.

Wish List: More transpositions of horns.

BUT. The F-horns do not playBack. I have tried to restart Dorico. ???

You could try using Play > Assign Unassigned Instruments (apologies that I suspect I am not correctly remembering the exact name of that menu item).

Thank you very much. I’m a little ashamed. I found the function - and you have given me almost the same answer on almost the same problem earlier. You have a hard work. (I have taught music theory combined with the use of Sibelius for 10 years and 100 students - you tell the same story again and again). You are a patient man.

Long time ago, but I looked for it!
Suggestion: Please add a paragraph in the user manual describing this function when searching the manual with “instrument change” or “change instrument”. I ever work in page view and was nearly devastated trying to change an instrument and thought it must be a function which will implemented in version 3 or so… Thanks!

In the new Dorico 3 manuals, I have added some more index entries and sentences relating to this more explicitly in existing places that seemed relevant (as an example on the topic for switching to galley view, in the body of the topic explaining instruments, and as a note in the result of the topic about adding instruments to players). Hopefully this proves useful :slight_smile:

Hello Lillie, that’s so great - thank you very much!
The Dorico staff makes the difference!!!

how can I change ensemble players to solo players, since ensemble players don’t benefit of the new Dorico 3 function (condensing). see screenshot)

Create a new empty-handed solo player, then expand your section player and drag the little instrument label from the section player and drop it on the solo player.

thank you! works fine!

Hello all

OK I have read and reread this and I still don’t know HOW to change the instrument on a solo player who is using one staff. I have a player that plays trumpet and violin. In the example, at Letter B, I want them to switch to violin, and of course I don’t want that part to be written in Bb like it was when they were playing the Trumpet. In this case, the notes are already entered, as I am re-orchestrating the player’s part. But, and I feel silly because it seems so obvious, how in the world do I actually do this? What are the keystrokes?? I would like to know in both cases: changing existing notes, and entering new ones please!

Bobby

Alt/Opt-M/N will move selected notes/notations down or up a stave.

Get your music on the right staves in Galley View (where all staves show), then when you switch to Page View you’ll see that Dorico’s automatically handled the instrument changes (and transposition).

Thank you, but I don’t want to move it to another stave. I want the player to read the same staff, just switch instruments. That’s all. I think I’m missing something basic here.

In my humble opinion there still seems to be a discoverability issue with this feature.

Benji

1 Like

The way that Dorico handles this is that in Galley View each instrument has its own stave.

Again, put the music on the right instrument’s stave, then switch back to Page View and observe that Dorico has magically joined the trumpet and violin staves into a single stave.

1 Like

OMG this is the FIRST time I have clearly understood this. THANK YOU.

Well said, Leo, but this section in the manual:

“solo players can hold multiple instruments. This allows you to handle instrument changes easily, such as when an oboist doubling the cor anglais switches from one instrument to the other.
Each instrument automatically gets its own staff, but when instrument changes are allowed, the music for multiple instruments held by the same solo player can appear on the same staff as long as no notes overlap.”

needs to be more straightforward, in the sense that the user doesn’t need to “handle” anything, it is being handled for him/her.
In the same way the second paragraph could be simplified as well, getting rid of the more conditional wording…

Again, I’m not a writer by any means, but people seem to get stuck in the same places with this…

All the best, Benji

P. S. Bobby just proved my point… :wink: