Change Multiple ins/out

What is the real way to do this.

I was under the impression I could just:

Click the first track
Hold down shift
Click the last track in series (that I need the out/in to be changed)
Then while holding the shift key (still)
Change the out/in for whatever track’s inspector is to the left

This works, sometimes, but others doesn’t.

Am I missing a step?

You need to hold Shift + Option when changing ins/outs.

Thanks!

(although, just holding shift and doing it sometimes works as wel l [in 6.0.0], just tested it side by side)

Ok, just to revisit this topic again.

This function barely ever works. Holding Shift+Option or just Shift or anything. It sometimes works, it sometimes does not.

Is there a step by step directions anyone knows for this?

Heres how I have been trying to do it:

1-Select first track
2-Holding shift click the last track (i want to change the outputs for)
3-Let go of shift
4-Hit Shift+option
5-Click the output for the track showing in the inspector
6-Change output

I would guess this works about 30% of the time.

Other times I never let go of shift and I just hit the option key and then go to step 5. And even other times I will hit Shift+Option two times, once to open the output dropdown box, and a second time to actually click the output I want.

Each way seems to yeild me about 30% success rate.

What is the deal with this? I am constantly re-routing multiple tracks and this would save me immense time. If anyone can offer me some advice, please do!

TY>

The way you describe it should work 100% of the time on a Mac (it does here across three different Macs and has been doing so without fail). I can think of two things that might be at play:

(1) After you hit Shift/Option, you need to continue to hold them both down while changing parameter values. Let one or both up before changing values and it will fail. Your wording of #4 suggests this might be what’s happening.
(2) Is Caps Lock accidentally on or are you hitting Caps Lock instead of Shift? (easy to do if you’re not looking at the keyboard)

Thanks for the reply Weasel. So are you are saying after I hit shift down to select all the tracks I need to change, I should continue to hold shift but just add the option key and the keep holding and select my new output?

Or are you saying after I hit shift to select all the tracks I need to change, I can let go of shift, but just keep shift + option held down while selecting my new output (as opposed to clicking shift+option once to cue the drop down, then again to select my new output)?

Thanks again.

You need to hit the modifier keys, click to select the routing, release the mouse then release the mod keys. Releasing the mouse before the keys is mandatory.

Thanks for the reply Weasel. So are you are saying after I hit shift down to select all the tracks I need to change, I should continue to hold shift but just add the option key and the keep holding and select my new output?

Or are you saying after I hit shift to select all the tracks I need to change, I can let go of shift, but just keep shift + option held down while selecting my new output (as opposed to clicking shift+option once to cue the drop down, then again to select my new output)?

jbw:
Since you’re on a Mac, some key operations can behave a little differently on a PC. Mr.Mitten is describing PC operation.

To describe your complete routine to work, on a Mac:

• Single LeftClick on a Track.
• Hold Shift, then single LeftClick on another Track to select all between*.
• Continue to hold Shift down, add Option and hold it down as well.
• Move the mouse over to the parameter you wish to globally change.
• LeftClick/Hold to reveal any contextual selection menu that pops up.
• Still holding Shift/Option, make your new selection.
• You can now let go of everything. It no longer matters what order you release the mouse or mod keys.

This will work 100% of the time on a Mac.

*Describes contiguous selection. For non-adjacent Track selection, use the Command key

Thank you Weasel for the detailed help and explanation.

I think I was releasing the shift after selecting the tracks and then pressing shift+option again, I also reckon when it was working, I kept shift down unknowingly.

Thanks again, this has been working perfectly!