change note duration of a whole melody

Hello,
I would like to change duration of the first four notes to half notes in a way, that the melody will fill the next two empty bars without affecting the position of last three notes. (see attachement)
How can I do it? If I will change note duration in „insert mode”, last three notes will move to next two bars. If I will do it without „insert mode”, the melody will be destroyed.

Two options to get your started, though I can already think of more:

1. Type the notes out again (definitely quickest in this particular instance).
  2. Copy and paste to somewhere else - a different stave, or a different file, or a different flow. Then turn on Insert Mode and change the note durations (using Write > Edit Duration > Double Note Duration) and then paste back.

Thank you for advise.
This was just example, I have much more complex score, so first option is not for me.
The second is not so handy. It seems Dorico still can be better in the field of manipulating note durations.

I’ve got the same issue. I input 8th notes by mistake and I want them to be 16th notes. If I use the change duration feature, it changes them to 16th notes but adds a 16th rest between each note. I want it to compress down the entire duration of the selected notes to half, as though I entered them during note input at 16th notes.

Press I to use Insert mode.

Jesper

@jesele thank you, this fixes the issue. Enabling Insert mode before doing the change duration command shortens from 8ths to 16ths without inserting extra rests.

As many users will be able to chime in, just make sure you turn off Insert mode as soon as you’re done with it. Otherwise all sorts of unintended mayhem may happen.

Yes, I should have warned about that, Thanks Rinaldo.

Jesper

What if the melody consists of notes of different length: what if in the example from Del_Gesu, the rhythm had been two quarter notes followed by two eighth notes at beginning of next measure and then a quarter note?

Is there a command that will change the duration to half or double of a group of notes of different duration?

You may have to make a selection first (and definitely go into Insert mode)

@Derrek is right. But one caveat. If your melody includes tuplets, you will have to remove them before you do the change duration and reinstate them afterwards. This can be an anxiety-raising process, but so long as insert mode is on, everything works out! Try it and see.

1 Like

Thanks to both of you! I will try this a little later. And I will bite my nails with duplets for sure! But good to know it can work.

Here’s a little exercise.
double duration with tuplets.dorico (842.8 KB)

Can you double duration of the top line to produce the bottom line?
Hint: Insert ON. Select all the top. Filter> tuplets and delete. Double duration. Select the start of each tuplet and reinstate (; 3:2 etc.)

3 Likes

I will give this a try. thanks!