Change Tempo of Audio/MIDI Project

Hey All,

Hoping for a simple answer to what would seem like a simple problem, but perhaps isn’t. I’ve recorded a tune, using session musicians, for an upcoming release and the tempo we settled on at the time of the session now feels too slow. I don’t have the option of re-tracking the keys, bass, sax and guitar. I am the drummer on the session and will be replacing the existing scratch drum tracks, but I’d like to speed everything up a few BPM before tracking the drums. The project is a mixture of audio and MIDI.

How would I, for instance, speed the whole project up from 92bpm to say 100bpm, and have all audio tracks and MIDI in sync with the click track, without adding weird artifacts? Is it possible to do this? Any help is greatly appreciated!


If you have exported all the tracks as one piece and same length you can use musical mode,
otherwise you can hold click pointer tool and select time stretch tool, select all tracks, click on clips ends and change the length to suitable place.
And finally you can warp all tracks manually which is drastically hard (not preferred).


Select all Audio events in the Project window, and enable Musical Mode in the Info Line of Project window. Then change the tempo.

For more details, please search the forum, it was already described many times. :wink:


I get this all the time with one of my clients- its too fast or too slow- even after we’ve done lots of work!

Try this way - (you can change tempos/undo/change over again with little effort) …finish (at the original tempo) all the overdubs, verbs, EQs etc…create a complete MIX, export the file at a high resolution (in my case 48k, 32bit)…create a new project - import the mix file - highlight the track… > process > Time Stretch > Original Length (TEMPO in BPM -in your case 92bpm) >Resulting Length (TEMPO in BPM -in your case 100bpm)–

For best results - USE algorithm “elastique Pro-Time” and either Process (or Preview) the file - when happy with your new tempo, SAVE/ -export the new mix … I think the results are perfectly clean, free of artifacts …AND you can always go back - tweak the mix/edit an overdub/and change the tempo of a newer mix again quite easily…

Hope this alternate method helps!


Wow, I forgot about this thread until just now. Happens all the time… Thanks, all. I will give the various suggestions a try and report back!


I have just run into this myself and was really struggling to sort out an Audio master track that had timing issues, and it is EDM track so needs to be spot on for DJs to sync to with incoming and outgoing tracks when playing.

I sorted it very quickly, though by accident tbh, and I thought I would share what I think I did here in part so I can find it again next time I am having to do this.

  • I brought the audio file into a new cubase project. (24 bit)
  • ran tempo detection.
  • This created a Tempo track that strayed around 121 BPM (lowest was 120.8 highest was 121.3 for the main song)
  • I deleted all the mental tempo bits around the drops in the song where the TD was confused, so it was now all just variations around +/- 121BPM.
  • then I actually disabled the tempo track, and set the project itself to 121 BPM (it had been 120 automatically on creation of the project. EDIT: actually I think I did this before running the Tempo detect process. I certainly did it first with the 116 BPM track I mention later)

unexpectedly I then found this seems to have now locked the straying tempo into the 121 bpm beat throughout the track without having to get fiddly at all.

I assume this is because the Tempo had found the accents and locked itself to that and then moved those points accordingly when I forced the project to align to 121BPM instead of following the tempo track on its BPM meander.

I assume this did it, as I didnt do anything else and I was hunting around the internet and about to sit and go through the entire thing to lock it onto the beat using Audio Hitpoints. This way I didnt need to, and from there I had to time stretch the whole thing up to 126BPM but that is another story, worked like dream anyway.

EDIT: literally the very next track I just am working on is a Trance EDM with awful long delays and washy synths from 2004 recording. I followed the above steps I mentioned, this time I had BPM straying between 113BPM and 119BPM and the tune was supposed to be in 116BPM, but it worked perfectly to shift it all to 116BPM. Absolutely amazed actually, as it was a nasty track to try to lock in on the beats. So confirmed this method works and very well.