change the default notehead set?

Hi,

I was wondering if there’s a way - or is it planned to make it possible - to change the default notehead set, either globally or for an instrument.
And on the same subject - are there plans to make the notehead selection method easier, i.e. as a palette in the toolbar?

Thanks

P.S. the new lines functionality and harmonics playback are the bomb!

Of course: Use the Notehead Set editor to change the Default Set!

Selection is from the Edit menu, or on a right click. A palette would surely display the names of the sets in one long list, or in groups, almost identically to the menu, so no change to ease.

thanks benwiggy, but currently the ‘save as default’ button just includes the selected notehead set in the list for all new projects, and does not actually make it the default set, which is always (for non-percussion instruments) the one aptly named ‘Default notehead set’.
I even tried to change the latter’s name to something else and name another set as ‘Default notehead set’, but to no avail…

It should work if you actually change the noteheads in the Default Set to some other glyphs.

You can change the notehead set used by default on the Notes page in Engrave>Engraving Options, but there are only a few different styles available for this setting (i.e. fewer than by changing the notehead set design of notes individually).

Because noteheads for percussion kits are also linked to playing techniques & playback, you can change those globally via the Edit Percussion Kit dialog, in the Percussion Instrument Playing Techniques dialog and the Override Percussion Noteheads dialog.

Thanks Lillie. I hope future updates will make this easier. Would be great to just select a preferred notehead set and ‘go with it’!

@Lillie_Harris Unfortunately the latter 2 of your 3 links leads to a 404. Any chance of fixing/updating them? (I know they are for Dorico 3, and maybe the documentation structure changed; so updating them might not make sense, which I would understand completely)

Are you not able to google the phrase “Dorico 4 Override Percussion Noteheads dialog”?

@janus Stay friendly! I didn’t ask how something works, but asked to keep sources working. This entry is still a hit on Google, so let’s fix wrong links. Are you not capable of understanding that? :wink:

It was a simple question. No reason for you to take offence.

The Dorico team makes 1000s of posts with links on this forum. It is totally unreasonable to expect all those links to be ‘maintained’.

Also, it is well known that if you simply search the term you are likely to end up at old versions of the documentation, which is why I explicitly suggested the search start with Dorico 4. For me this returns the correct page top of the list. I thought the same might occur for you.

Aside from the fact that you misunderstand my posting, you are condenscending. And you keep behaving so. Change your tone, please.

I am not searching for anything, that was not my question - read again.
I write a lot of documentation in OS projects, and one reason why different versions have different URLs is to keep links correct. So it is totally reasonable to fix links.

There are scripts available who check if links are wrong or not. It’s all about keeping up quality. And Dorico is about quality - I guess this is where you agree.

I’m sure the dev team will welcome your expertise in this matter.

Thanks for sharing this. Links in a forum post from over 2 years ago might well not be the best links to follow in March 2022, anyway. I will add current links below, but any future searchers landing here might want to take these with a pinch of salt if the latest version of Dorico is no longer Dorico 4.

I would rather not set a precedent of editing links in old forum posts on-demand, because I fear the size of that can of worms. I hope you understand!

1 Like

Thank you for your response! But why not fixing, when somebody reports it? I dont know of any documentation team that is NOT happy about fixes.
The Dorico Documentation has a dedicated link for each version, if I am not mistaken. That means links will never have to be moved once a new version comes out (which happens, when there are project who call the link to their documentation “latest” instead of “v[lastest-number]”.) I doubt that there are “1000” links that need to be fixed. Just a few probably.

Also, it is great that you post links to v4, but this very post deals with Dorico v3. So if that was my post, I would simply edit it and fix the link to the v3 documentation. That would keep things clean and that’s how I know documentation teams work.
Maybe that is not your approach, which is of course totally fine. But maybe I can motivate you to give it a thought. It has proven very valuable, and I am happy to share experience stories with you, if you are interested.

I would rather not get into the ins and outs as to why I gave my previous response. To date, I have written over 3.5 thousand posts on this forum, and I tend to include links in most of them. Whilst I would never rule out amending things in old forum posts, I simply do not want to establish expectations.

Any errors within the published documentation or on steinberg.help directly are a different matter, of course, and I would encourage anyone encountering such errors to let us know.

Thanks again for your feedback, which I have noted.

@Lillie_Harris I should correct myself: this is not documentation, but a forum. So my bad and I apologize - I am wrong and you are right!
Extra thanks for your effort, and I will refrain of posting anything about wrong links.

1 Like