Changing 2/2 to 4/4 with notes

Hello,

I am writing an arrangement. One part I wrote in 2/2 (with measures like half note and two quarters, etc.). Now they come with that they want it to have 4/4 (so it should be a quarter and two eights). I tried to change 2/2 to 4/4, but it didn’t change the notes. Is there some easy solution for this or do I have to go through the whole part and change note by note?

Thank you very much.

2/2 and 4/4 both have 4 quarters per bar, so the note lengths would stay the same.
If you want to change 2/2 to 2/4, use write>edit duration>halve note duration… and then change the meter to to 2/4 (but you need to be careful if you music includes tuplets. There are a number of threads on how to handle this).

Be sure to turn on Insert Mode before Halving and to turn it off afterwards.

Wouldn’t it be easier to just select the notes that need changing (Shift click from one end to the last of the notes that you want to edit) while having Insert Mode on and just press Shift + Ctrl + Alt and Left Arrow to decrease the note duration by half?

Well, if you think of it, how would it behave when quavers and whole notes are selected? The amount of needed key strokes do vary with the rhythmic value! That is why Halve duration is there :person_shrugging:

In case it’s not clear from the above responses … This takes two steps, in either order:

• Change the meter (will not affect the notes at all)
  • Turn on insert mode, select all the notes, and do Halve Duration

Let us know if you have any tuplets, as these don’t halve as easily as regular notes.

1 Like

Thank you all for your answers and help. I will try it.
And yes, there are unfortunately triplets too.

Would you be so kind and tell me the solution for triplets?

(Ensure Insert mode is on throughout)
Select your notes. Right-click>filter>tuplets. Delete.
Re-select your notes and halve duration.
Re-apply your tuplets (one by one. This usually just requires selecting the first note and hitting ; ).
(turn off insert mode)

Note: Removing the tuplets can make the notes appear really messed up, but don’t panic. Just work through it methodically and everything works out right in the end!

Thank you very much! Will try.