Changing color of Noteheads

Hello,
When I want to change the head of the notes, there’s a special line in the edition menu which has an incredible number of possibilities, but almost none of the one I need.
How can I change the design of these note heads?
More difficult. When I write a long note, Dorico spreads it along the measure with different values tightened, for example : crotchet+quaver+whole, i.e. black, black and white.
If I change the Notehead into a rectangle, it all appears in black .
How can I (simply) get a rectangle choice which respects the color of the notes on which it applies?
thank you.

Hello @bohy , if none of the available notehead set designs suit your needs, you can create a custom notehead set (in Dorico Pro).

Dorico groups notes according to their duration, the prevailing time signature, and their position in the bar. Likewise if you have Dorico Pro, you can change the defaults for this in Write > Notation Options > Note Grouping. The rectangular notehead should follow the duration of the notes - can you clarify which notehead set you’re choosing and share a screenshot of what’s happening in your project?

Hello Lillie Harris. Thank you for your quick response. I don’t know if I have the Pro version, my Dorico is
version 3.5.10.1045 (July 27 2020)
Dorico 3,5AudioEngine version 3.1.10.12
If it is a « pro » Dorico, can you tell me how to design new note heads?
By the way, can you tell me how I can make a snapshot of a part of a score in order to send it to you?
My proceeding is :
I select the notes whose head I want to change. In Edit menu, I select « note heads » and then « round and square « and then « rectangular note head ».
Actually, the selected notes were double dotted quaver (black) bound to a whole note (white). The result is that all the different notes are black.
By the way, I checked all the existing Note heads in Dorico, and quite all the cross note heads doesn’t fit. There is no difference between black and white notes.
Triangles are OK. Diamond notes are OK except the "white diamonds ». Slashes are quite ununderstandable because it mixes slashes and diamonds.
Round and square notes are weird because White whole notes with a dot are not OK because… they are white (!!). Half-moon notes are OK BUT rectangle notes occur to be black in any case!!!
It is probably a bug.
The rest of scale degrees (walter, Aikin, Funk and Walker) are all OK.
If it is only a bug, can you tell me when someone in Dorico has fixed it?
And if my Dorico is « Pro » I would be pleased if you could tell me how to make a new custom notepad set.
Thank you.
Cheers

françois BOHY
fbohy@icloud.com

François, although it won’t have any direct bearing on what you’re working on right now, when you get a chance you should update to Dorico 3.5.12 by downloading the update from here.

I’m not sure I can quite follow the problem you’re describing. Have you perhaps made some attempts at editing noteheads before and possibly ended up editing some of the default noteheads in undesirable ways?

Do the problems you are experiencing with noteheads appear in a brand new project created from an empty template?

Thank you for your concern.
I will quickly get the update from DORICO.
The problems I am experimenting exist since the beginning, whatever the file coud be.
In fact, as I checked all the possibilities of Note heads, I realized that only the rectangle note heads were not convenient relatively to the color of the notes (black or white).
Is it a bug?
Could the new version fix it?
This could be great.
Is the new version a « Pro » one? If it is, how must I do to create my own shapes for note heads?
Could it be possible to exchange my new shapes with existing shapes from the « note heads »editing program?
Thank you
Best regards.

françois BOHY
fbohy@icloud.com

@bohy it does indeed sound like you’ve edited the noteheads somehow, or perhaps if someone has sent you the project they have. It’s unlikely to be a bug. Check in the Edit Notehead Sets dialog to see what noteheads are included in the affected sets - there might be missing noteheads, overwritten (edited) noteheads, or they’ve got the incorrect settings for which durations they’re used for.

It’s worth being aware that editing a notehead that’s used in multiple sets affects that notehead in all sets, not just the one you’re viewing at the time of editing (see the notes on that page I linked above).

Instructions for creating a notehead set were linked in my previous comment - click the highlighted text where I wrote “create a custom notehead set”. (Apologies in advance if this is an incorrect assumption on my part, but if you’d prefer the French manual, the equivalent page is here.)

Product version: you can immediately tell if you’ve got Pro by seeing whether you’ve got Engrave mode available in the top left of the window. Here’s information about the different product versions.

Hello Lillie Harris. Thank you very much for your help!
I read the French manual and began to see exactly what I could do.
In fact, in « editing the ensemble of rectangular notes » the two designs were in, say a black and a white rectangles BUT the white one was settled on durations shorter or equal to a quaver, which was the setting of the former ! I changed it and everything came in order!
Actually I wanted to have a white square a little larger than a black one, with a more important thickness of the line. I found the way to have the white rectangle bigger than the black one, but I couldn’t change the thickness of the drawing.
How is it possible?
By the way, I realized that there were a red corner on the white rectangular figure in the edit note heads menu. I couldn’t succeed to get it off. So I tried to insert a new note head, similar to the previous, and put the « red crossed » one to the dustbin. BUT all those old and new designs were impossible to throw! (the dustbin appears in grey). How can I fix it?
I upgraded with the 3.5.12 version which is a pro version.

françois BOHY
fbohy@icloud.com

Hi François, Glad that fixed it.

To reset a notehead, click the Revert to Factory button in the Edit Notehead Sets dialog:

To give the rectangle notehead a thicker line edge (if I’ve understood you correctly?) you’ll need to edit that notehead and e.g. add another square notehead glyph, move that glyph on top of the original glyph, and resize it so it’s a little bigger/smaller - essentially doubling up the line edge. There are probably cleverer ways of achieving that as well though. Essentially, you can edit the individual notehead to appear however you like using any of the available options on the right of the dialog.

Thank you for your advice, it worked perfectly well!!
Now my notes have the right figure including the whole square notes.
I still don’t understand why it is impossible to change the size of a line in a figure; But your advice of sticking the same glyph and expanding it a little worked well.
Thank you!
Cheers

françois BOHY
fbohy@icloud.com

The reason is the default noteheads use glyphs for the noteheads themselves - those glyphs are fixed, they’re not individual sets of lines whose thickness you can change. The editor allows you to build/design/draw whatever you like using the available tools.

Hello,
I have another problem that must be simple to solve, but I can’t find the solution.

I have a text, say in tuplets, with I want to shift on the right for one semi-quaver of tuplet in duration.
If I insert the duration, all my text moves, and, more problem : I cannot insert a tuplet value.
If I simply put the duration (without inserting it) it erases the notes which where at the insert point.
I would like to give you examples of my sheet, but I don’t know how to manipulate copies of parts of my score.
If you can help………
Thank you
cheers

françois BOHY

fbohy@icloud.com

Sorry François I’m struggling to picture exactly what you mean.

If you mean lyrics (sung text typically shown below the staff for the corresponding notes), you might find it easier to select all the lyrics that will need to be shifted, copy them, then paste them into the new positions where you want them.

Thank you for your response.
Actually it’s the notes that I want to shift.
If you can give me a simple method to paste images of my score inside an e-mail message, I will be pleased to show you some example.

françois BOHY
fbohy@icloud.com

If you reply directly on the forum, you can simply drag and drop images into the reply box.

There’s a tutorial for new users on the forum (in the form of messages with a bot @discobot) that takes you through core forum functionality, including attaching images to posts.

Ok , I will try. Thank you for your help.

FranÇois BoHy