Changing font of accidentals

I am trying to change the font for all the standard accidentals. I did this successfully with the natural sign so that it displays correctly in the score by editing the Natural in the blue rectangle that appears in the Edit Tonality System Accidentals list. But I don’t see the other accidentals on display in the list. How do I proceed?

I think you got to the wrong place to do the edits.

In Write mode select the key signature panel (## icon) on the right hand side, then select the tonality system you want to use (12-tone EDO is the default) and click the pencil icon to edit it.

You then get the attached dialog. Select something in the Accidentals column and click the pencil icon to edit it.

Thanks, Rob. That did it. I had clicked the + instead of the pencil.

Well, I tried editing a flat. After clicking OK in the Edit Tonality System box, almost ALL the notes disappeared off both staves and were replaced by whole rests in the top staff, a few dynamic signs, and notes here and there in the lower staff! Shocked, I closed without saving the and all was well on opening the file again.

Thinking that editing the natural that appears when one clicks the cross + instead of the pencil caused the problem, I edited the natural back to Bravura. But that didn’t help the situation. Even opening the Edit Tonality System box with the pencil and clicking OK without editing makes the music vanish. Restarting my computer, multiple restarts of Dorico, did nothing to change this.

The only way I can now continue using Dorico is to leave the natural in Maestro and the other accidentals in Bravura.

It sounds like something incredibly odd is going on, John. You’re sure you’re in this dialog?

Unless you hit “Save” and/or “Save as Default”, there’s absolutely no reason why closing the project and opening it again would result in your music continuing to be messed up.

I’ve just experimented and:
a) I can successfully change whichever accidentals I like to use Maestro
b) I can use Cmd/Ctrl+Z to undo the change (having closed the Edit Tonality System dialog)
c) None of my music’s vanishing

In general in Dorico, the + icon creates a new object (for example suppose you were creating a new tonality system from scratch, you would be starting with no accidentals at all defined) and the pencil edits an existing object.

But like pianoleo said, beyond that comment I can’t guess what is going on. I’ve only ever used these dialogs to create non-standard key signatures, not to edit the accidentals, but everything has always worked as expected for me.

Thanks, pianoleo. Yes, that is the dialogue box that I used to edit the flat. But remember that I had previously edited the natural in the dialogue box produced by the +.

Rob, perhaps I unwittingly created a new tonality system for the piece when I edited the natural, and now the program is mystified by my use of yet another tonality system to change the font of the other accidentals. In any case, something about the sequence of the two actions seems to have Dorico messed up. Somehow, I’ve got to get back to the good ol’ chromatic scale and the original settings.

John, are you definitely running Dorico 2.2.10? The problem you describe with some of the music disappearing after you confirm an edit to the tonality system was fixed in version 2.2.10.

It should just be a case of opening any other regular project (e.g. one that uses straightforward 12-EDO), opening the Edit Tonality System dialog, and hitting “Save as Default” in the bottom left corner…

Daniel, I am running Version 2.2.0.1108, which is a 30-day demo. That does sound like my problem.

Thanks, pianoleo. I’ll try that.

You can download the Dorico 2.2.10 update even if you’re on the trial version. Run Steinberg Download Assistant and choose to download the ‘Update to Dorico Pro 2.2.10’, then run that to update.

I upgraded to 2.2.10 and all is well. Thank you, Daniel, Rob and pianoleo!