Changing from Oboe to Cor Inglese

Hello,
I am stuck trying to make an instrument change during a score.
I have setup an Oboe player, added Cor Inglese as second instrument to him.
In the first flow the player plays the Oboe, in the third flow I want him to change to Cor Inglese.
I can not find a way to do this…
Any help apreciated.

You need to work on your score in Galley view (change using the View menu in Write mode) - then you will see that each doubling instrument has its own separate stave. Just enter your music on the Cor stave at the start of the 3rd flow and Dorico will take care of the rest as far as the score layout and the part is concerned.

The only thing it doesn’t do (yet!) is explicitly show in the part which instrument is required at the beginning of each flow, or any instrument changes in between flows (so if your 2nd flow finishes on oboe, it won’t put the instrument change warning in for the 3rd flow). You may want to put in some Shift-X text objects to clear this up.

Ah, this is exactly my Setup.

This explains, why I could not find anything…
I will put the instrument change text in via SHIFT+X.
Thank you James.

I can see how to get instruments from multiple galley-view staves onto one part, but how do I define a full score which keeps doubled instruments like alto and bass clarinet with different transpositions on separate staves (as per Gould → Score Layout → Stave separation for transposing instruments) ? Thank you.

Hmm… if I understand your request, I suppose whichever instrument was playing to start with, you could add the other as an additional extra player with no music, and hide its empty staves after the first system.

Thank you, Dan. Let me re-phrase … I’d like the part to start with Instrument A, then have a “To Instrument B” notation and the new instrument with its new transposition/clef show up. The issue I see with Dorico today is that the same thing will happen in the full score; a single staff will start off as Instrument A and change mid-way to Instrument B. If I’m reading Gould correctly for the situation where Instrument A and Instrument B have different transpositions, the score should always have two staves - one each for Instrument A and Instrument B.

I think you are misunderstanding Gould.

What it means is that you should not have one staff in the score with two different instruments, if one is transposing.

For example if you have two clarinets and one player doubles bass clarinet, you can have just one staff in the score for both clarinet parts when they are both playing normal clarinets (to save space), but you must use two staves when one is playing clarinet and the other bass clarinet.

Alternatively, you can have two staves both labeled “clarinet”, or two staves labeled “clarinet” and “bass clarinet”, with instrument changes on one of the staves. Since Dorico can’t automatically combine two players’ parts onto one staff of the score, that is the simplest method to use.

If you had three staves (2 clarinets and a bass clarinet) everywhere in the score, that would suggest there were three players, and the third player plays ONLY the bass clarinet.

I second Rob — I had to look for Gould’s paragraph and honestly, you could have given a page number (p.531 in my edition) :wink:

The online editions are more searchable. The first hit on “staff separation” (taken from the post #11) was a cross reference to the correct page number.

Thank you, Rob and Marc.

Thanks Rob! I did not know there was an online edition, I’ll check for it!

Sorry, I meant “electronic” not “online”.

Ok, you mean the new epub version or pdf version… I do not plan to buy it — the book was already VERY expensive in the parisian library where I bought it!