Changing time of a track

What’s the easiest, most time efficient way to change the timing of a track overall. i.e. I’ve written a track at 110bpm, multiple guitars, halion for drums, Kontakt with a bass emulator, I’ve decided that it would sound better faster, say 115bpm, how can I change the speed of the track and still have all of my events lining up with my grid lines and no gaps in events due to the time change? I’m sure it’s something simple, I’ve just never had a need to do it before.

Usually midi events come along automatically, audio events need to be set to ‘musical mode’. The easiest way is to open the pool window, select all and click the musical-mode-box. Or select all audio events in the project window and activate it via the info line.

On your channels the time base needs to be set to ‘musical’ too, I think it’s by default, that’s the note-symbol that changes to a clock symbol by clicking (on the track header).

There are plenty of algorithms to choose from for time stretching/compression - if it sounds warbling or produces any sort of other artefacts try different algos.

Thanks marQs, awesome, I’ve destroyed a few tracks on my way to this simple fix, so I’ve got some repair work to do, as you probably guessed I’m quite new to this.

If you have time, can you explore a little more about algorithms and their implementation, how/why/what, etc. If not, that’s cool too, any help is appreciated. Thanks.

One more question, I’ve got a track with multiple audio events, all of the events appear in the pool except for two events at the very start of the track. For some reason when I tick the tick box for all of the other events, with the aim to change the time, the two events which don’t appear in the pool disappear and some of the others move. How do I get all events in the pool?

It’s always a good idea to save a version (ctrl + shift + s >>> Cubase will create a new .cpr that will look like yoursong-01.cpr) before you change critical things, so you can go back anytime something gets messed up accidentially :wink:

The different algos can be set via the infoline in the project or the pool. There are great explanations here: Time Stretch and Pitch Shift Algorithms

What suits/sounds best is subjective - just try and listen. I’m set to èlastique pro formant as standard (can be set in preferences) and just change it if it doesn’t sound right. Usually I’m not changing tempo of a whole song after recording, for me it’s relevant when I have to/want to do audio warp edits.

Sounds tricky. Propably those two events not appearing in the pool but in the project are versions of the others that move. If you apply i.e. offline processes (time stretch, pitch, reverse, plugins etc.) to an event Cubase will create a new event with a new name. In preferences you can define how Cubase handles copies and versions of events or re-activate the tickbox for the options dialog (so Cubase will ask you any time how to proceed). Probably you’ve clicked the “don’t show this message again” box once - Cubase will treat versions/copies with the last settings you’ve made in the options dialog.

However, I think all sorts of versions should be visible in the pool. If not, you can always just right click in the pool window and choose “prepare archive”. This will offer you some more options in a dialog. Choose your options and proceed - the result should be that all of the files and events are definately in the pool.

Here’s a relevant page of the manual: Creating Self-Contained Projects