changing time signature

I must be missing something.

I have an orchestral piece where the time signature changes from 3/4 to 2/4 at the 2nd to last measure, and then back to 3/4 for the final measure.

I decided it was dumb to switch, so I wanted to change the 2/4 back to 3/4. I highlighted the measure, clicked shift M, and entered 3/4 into the meter popover. And the printed time signature changed to 3/4, but the measure still has 2 beats in it. Why? What am I missing?

Thanks!

Why not delete the 2/4 and the 3/4? If it was 3/4 already before the 2/4, you should end up with what you want by deleting those two changes.

If you end up with a 3/4 bar that only has two beats, try this: in the shift-B popover, type +1q (add a quarter note duration ). You can also type +1e to add an 8th note duration.

If you end up with a 3/4 bar that only has two beats, try this: in the shift-B popover, type +1q (add a quarter note duration ). You can also type +1e to add an 8th note duration.

This worked! Thank you. I have absolutely no idea, however, why such a move would be necessary. I also don’t understand why Dorico allows time signatures to be restated. Like if I’m in 3/4, why would I want to restate that time sig?

I did try, by the way, to delete the time changes, but I just couldn’t get rid of that weird bar with only two beats. Until I did the +1q trick - glad to know that!

When you insert or delete a time signature, Dorico will only rewrite the music up to the next time signature, and it won’t move that time signature. If you want it to move the following time signature (and indeed all following music) in order to make sure that the passage following the new time signature ends with a complete bar, you need to engage Insert mode when you create the time signature.

Fantastic - I think I get it. Thanks Daniel!