Changing transposition

I have two questions about switching between A and B-flat clarinet.

Is there an easier way of getting a true flat symbol as an insert in the instrument name (since I’ve had to change the default name) other than selecting the ‘b’ and changing the font, size, tracking and glyph for that one letter, and having to repeat this for each staff label (since copying and pasting doesn’t work)? If I choose the flat to Bravura and alter its size and the vertical position, Dorico pushes the staves in the score too far apart, since Bravura has a higher baseline to top size than the font of the staff label.

When switching transpositions, how do I change the moment of the change? At the spot in the example below there’s an instrument change two bars before the general key change and Dorico places an extra key change there in the clarinet parts, whereas it would look better if the instrument (and key) change would be all in the same place.
key and instrument change.png

Instead of Bravura, you can use Bravura Text. It removes the issue of the vertical padding.

My go-to text font is Minion Pro, but the flat is too spaced out there. So I use Academico just for the flat sign. Works beautifully. I actually have a macro to assign the flat sign to Ctrl-Alt-Shift-B.

I manually rename my trumpets and clarinets to include the Bb sign as I want it to appear (since I don’t prefer the automatic placement of the transposition), and set “show transposition” to “never.”

Thanks, Dan. My preferred text is also Minion Pro. Does it include a flat? I certainly couldn’t find it. In any case, thanks for the tip about Academico or Bravura text. I’ll make myself a macro for the flat, as well.

Do you know if my other problem is solvable? The example shows what I mean. That extra key change only for the clarinets just gives extra clutter in the score.

Don’t use Minion Pro for that flat sign… use Academico. The flat sign is part of the standard character map, so you should be able to find it several places, including the Character Map (in Windows). Or just Google “flat sign music” and copy the glyph into the text box (as Minion Pro or whatever font is already there), then select the flag glyph and change its font to Academico. You may want to reduce the flat flyph’s font size a little as well.

I can’t answer your other question, sorry!

There’s currently no direct control over where an instrument change occurs: Dorico always inserts it directly after the last note on the previous instrument. In future we do expect to be able to give some additional control, but for the time being you’ll need to trick Dorico into moving the instrument change later. Try adding a note to the Bb clarinet at the end of the bar before the time signature change in a new voice, remove rests so that you don’t get lots of rests before it, and then set its scale factor to 1%. If you position it on a staff line it should then effectively be invisible, but the instrument change will then take effect right there.

Thanks, Daniel. That’s an acceptable workaround until we get more control over where the change occurs. It doesn’t happen all that often.