Changing tuplets

Is is possible to adjust the durations, ratios etc of an existing tuplet?

Say, for example, I enter a tuplet with the ratio 5:4. How can I change that to, say, 5:3 or 5:6?

Also, what if the base duration of the tuplet needs to be changed part-way through entering it. For example, 16th-note duration is selected, 3:2 is entered in the tuplet popover but it needs to be changed to a 3:2 with 32nd-note duration? Simply delete and start again or is there an easier way?

Thanks!

It really depends on context.

If you delete a tuplet then its notes will spill to the right, overwriting following notes.

If you turn on Insert mode before deleting a tuplet then the following notes will be shunted to the right, which may cause problems downstream (particularly if you have multiple voices on the staff). In this situation it may be wise to cut and paste the material to a separate flow or an empty stave, alter the tuplets, then cut and paste back.

If you want to replace e.g. a 5:4 with a 5:3, select the tuplet (number or bracket) and hit delete. You should find that the first note that was previously in the tuplet is selected. Now type ; 5:3 Enter.

You can specify the note value of a tuplet explicitly within the popover, using w for whole note/semibreve, h for half/minim, q for quarter/crotchet, e for eighth/quaver, and then x y and z for 16ths/semiquavers, 32nds/demis and 64ths/hemis, e.g. 4:3e for fourth eighths/quavers in the time of three eighths/quavers.

Thanks. That’s a great help.

Is this documented in the manual?

Yes. See Tuplets popover

The task for inputting tuplets now also recommends including the beat unit primarily. Additionally, tables for beat units you can include have been added/clarified for tempo marks and the bars and barlines popover.

Apologies for re-opening this thread.

Am I right in thinking that the above will not work if I want to convert a group of notes into a tuplet if a subset of these notes is already a tuplet? (i.e. it is not possible to convert a group of notes which include a tuplet into a higher level tuplet spanning all the notes and thus creating a nested tuplet.)

Do let me know if this does not make sense.
Thanks,
Peter

1 Like

You’re quite right, Peter: you can’t “tupletify” a passage that already contains a tuplet. I think this would be useful, though, so I will talk to the team about this in due course.

3 Likes

That would be much appreciated, thank you.

I would also love this feature. If one is just transcribing something, there is no need for this, but if you’re importing a piece from MIDI, or if you’re composing, changing an already existing tuplet would be very useful.
Right now, it takes a lot of steps.

More generally, it seems that currently it is only possible to enter, but not to edit tuplets. For example, if one only wants to change the tuplet unit (i.e., not even the ratio), it seems that currently it is necessary to delete the tuplet and then enter the new tuplet settings from scratch – with all the potential hassle that the deletion of tuplets can cause (e.g., overwriting of following notes).

Example: I have a tuplet that could have been entered in the pop-over as “5:4 q”, and I want to change that into “5:4 x”. Such a change would leave all actual note values unchanged, and would only change things like ties.

Is it correct that currently such an edit step is not possible, and instead one has to delete the tuplet and then re-enter the tuplet with only the different unit?

Welcome to the forum, Torsten. You are correct, for the time being you do indeed need to replace the tuplet rather than being able to edit it (though that is something we plan to add in future). Make sure you have insert mode activated when you remove the existing tuplet, as that will ensure the notes are unscaled and nothing is unexpectedly overwritten before you then rescale them according to the new tuplet.

Thanks for this quick confirmation!

(Not new to Dorico, but Steinberg insisted on me using a new account it seems.)

Ah, if you’d like me to try and find your existing account and merge them, I can do that.

Thank you very much indeed for this kind offer – and even on the weekend!

The existing account is torstenanders (the new one torsten_anders). Should I contact you directly with further details?

Yes, please do drop me a private message and let me know which of the two accounts you want to keep. There may be some complications if, for example, both of your Steinberg IDs have products registered to them, but provided only one of them does, we should be able to sort it out easily enough.

Silly question, but gonna embarrass myself and ask.
If I delete a tuplet number, the notes are shifted to the right.

So for example, if I have simple triplet 8th notes, delete the “3”, I get four 8th notes, the last changing the note value I might have to the right.

Since the triplet 8ths = one quarter note, why don’t a get a rest, or two 8th notes?

I know if I delete the triplet notes themselves, I’ll get a quarter rest.

Just wondering what I’m missing.

Thanks (and sorry)

John

It’s different moves that offer different results, which is very convenient once you know what happens. Another interesting move is using insert mode (and use the STOP line to prevent from moving too much material if needed) to avoid modifying the notes to the right.
It really depends on why you want this triplet deleted and which result you’re after in the end.

Thank Marc

I’ve used insert and the stop line, which works great. (But remember to turn the thing OFF!)

Just wondered why it was set up this way. I think you’re saying replacing notes to right can be helpful, depending on what you want to do.

John

1 Like

Exactly. The same way creating a triplet on existing notes make them enter into the tuplet. If you know it’s going to happen, you can use that. If you were not aware, it can make you lose time (there were complaints here not long ago about that). The Team had to make a choice :person_shrugging: