Channel Configuration (Switch between mono and stereo)

Hello,
I’m so glad to have possibility to switch between stereo and mono channel and it is really useful.
What my suggestion for Steinberg is to create visual representation of mono or stereo on track. It means that user can see two or one graphic representation of wave/s on the channel depend of choosement. It was a litlle bit confuse when I switched my channel from stereo to mono, but still can see two waves on the track instead of one.

If you switch an audio track from stereo to mono, an existing stereo recording/file is not automatically converted to a mono file. Accordingly, the waveform will continue to display 2 channels. If you however record new material on this track, it will be in mono and will also be displayed as a single channel.

@ASM Thank you for your answer. Now I tried to switch between stereo to mono during playback and what I can see signal not stay at the stereo position left and right channels. It became mono (in the center). On the meter I can see difference as well.

A mono audio track always plays audio material in mono, regardless of whether the clips it contains are in mono or stereo.

1 Like

@ASM What I would like to see in Cubase is to get some kind of render in place with posibillity to choose if you want to have mono channel from stereo and vice versa. Also to get visual representaion according to it. What do you think about that?

In the Pool you can change each clip to a different format, e.g. from stereo to mono and vice versa. Right-click on clip & select Convert Files… in the context menu.

1 Like

@ASM Thank you so much. I will try that.

1 Like

Convert track under the project menu?

@st10ss Yes, I can see that and it’s ok. Thank you so much.

Both are very useful yet different functions, that can be used to perform mono/stereo manipulations.

This function acts directly on the selected Clips embedded in audio tracks and changes their properties (sample rate, bit depth, channels, file format).

This function acts on one or more Tracks (incl. their content) and separates or merges them. In this way, for example, you can turn 2 mono tracks into 1 stereo track or vice versa.