Channel EQ factory presets not showing up

Hi,

I freshly installed Cubase 6.0.2 x64 from DVD and updated it to version 6.5. Now I have problems finding the factory presets for the channel EQ. When I click on that box icon next to “Equalizers” the pop-up menu only shows:

-------------------------
Save Preset...
Remove Preset
Rename Preset
-------------------------
From Track Preset...

I searched for the file VstEqPreset.pxml and found it under **C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 6\Presets**. Under *C:\Users\alexfr\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 6_64\Presets* there is no such file.

How do I fix this problem and why is it occuring?

Ok, so I copied VstEqPreset.pxml from C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 6\Presets\ to *C:\Users\alexfr\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 6_64\Presets* restarted Cubase and the EQ presets show up. But why do I as a user have to care about such things? :angry: Are there any other files the installer puts in the wrong location?

It seems I fixed it by deleting/renaming the whole C:\Users\alexfr\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 6_64 folder and restarting Cubase which rebuilds it from scratch. This time, all the presets got copied from C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 6\Presets automatically.
Beware that you have to reconfigure your preferences afterwards.

Trashing preferences hasn’t revealed the EQ presets for me here in Essential 5. The strange thing is that Elements 6’s show up with no problem. I don’t care so much as to investigate it though; for some reason they must not have installed correctly the first time. :confused:

This preset stuff seems to be a fairly common problem. Unfortunately I don’t know how Cubase 5 deals with presets, so I cannot help you here. As for Cubase 6, the installer doesn’t seem to be the problem because Cubase itself builds the configuration folder Cubase 6 resp. Cubase 6_64.

Take a look in the abovementioned folders (Program Files for x64, Program Files (x86) for x86, and of course Cubase 5 instead of Cubase 6) and/or search for the file VstEqPreset.pxml. If it’s in the Program Files folder then the installer did its job and Cubase is not able to copy it from there, I guess.

I can’t seem to find it anywhere on my hard drive. I have a feeling I will be trashing my prefs here soon anyway due to the regular crashes I’ve been experiencing. When I get a chance I will check my installation disc for the presets. Thanks.

I would suggest a more radical approach: uninstall Cubase, delete/move/rename the whole Cubase configuration folder in AppData, then reinstall Cubase. :smiley:

You cannot simply find the mentioned file on the installation disc because it resides inside the Cubase MSI installation package. You would have to extract the package with e.g. 7-Zip, but I don’t consider this a clean solution.