Channel EQ switchable to pre-insert (images added)

While both Channel and Studio EQs are just fine, and may for all I know use the same engine, they are not equivalent. [Edit: See this later post for visual comparisons: Channel EQ switchable to pre-insert (images added) - #5 by Crotchety - Cubase - Steinberg Forums)]

--------------- StudioEQ – ChannelEQ
Shelves…3…4
Pass…1…2
Parametric…1…2

Furthermore, they have access to different presets.

It is a pity not to be able to take full advantage of these features and have the ChannelEQ available pre-insert, as I have wished on many occasions, particularly for the shelves and passes.

Agree/disagree/know how to work around it?

Inserts 7 and 8 are after the EQ. Still somewhat limiting but may help a little.
HTH
J.L.
EDIT: Is an option for EQ to be pre-fader/post-fader realistic? Like the meters can be set.
I don’t really know. Just a thought…

Inserts 7/8 are fine but there aren’t enough of them, as you imply. I usually begin the chain with an EQ before maybe two or three compressors/filters.

I honestly don’t know whether making it switchable is technically feasible (that’s for the developers to know) but I just want the ChannelEQ features available at the top of the chain.

Maybe it would be easier to create a plug-in of it.

Keep the comments coming. I was going to start a poll but I don’t think the question is clear, hence this thread.

The question was clear. I would also like to have the Channel EQ to optionally be pre-inserts. I obviously can insert an EQ first in the chain, but since I almost always use a hi-pass and/or low-pass filter before any other effect, it would be practical to have it built in.

Whether or not this makes the case, some of you might like to see these comparisons of the two EQs. Although very similar, if not identical, in some areas, there are other where they are quite different, i.e. the two Parametrics and the Shelves with extra cut.

Hope you can make out the overview, I can’t load all the individual ones. All Qs are at max unless stated. All cuts -12db.

The fact that the image may not look similar doesn’t necesarilly mean they sound different. Best way would be to use a noise sample and process it through both EQ’s separately, flip phase on one and see what’s left.

I was wondering about that. There is quite a few db in it in a few cases, though. But I take your point.

However, the point of the illustrations is just to highlight the differences between the two EQs and build a case for them both being available anywhere in the chain, not just StudioEQ. ChannelEQ’s Parametric I, for example is much wider than you can get in StudioEQ.

But it’s also been informative finding out where their similarities are.

Wouldn’t mind knowing whether they share algorithms.