Character style to force staff text lower (baseline shift) - difficult to edit?

I am wishing to add manual div./unis. labels (as opposed to full divisi staves), using manual staff text.

However I found the default placement for every label feels awkwardly high and not immediately clear in a dense score. So in order to workaround this I created a custom chracter style where I adjusted the baseline shift to my liking (-8pt):

It looks good, however I noticed that it can be very hard to access and edit these text labels, because the area where you have to double-click to enter edit mode for the text is in fact above in the invisible, where this cursor is above the text:

Screenshot 2024-06-22 at 3.05.08 PM

Otherwise, if I click on the text itself (after baseline shift) Dorico goes into note-entry mode.

I understand that Dorico sees the true text edit area is above, and the baseline shift is simply something applied after. It does make logical sense why it is behaving this way, but I am wondering if there is a better workaround for what I’m trying to do here.

To be clear of course I know I can manually move things down within Engrave mode but for a piece where parts shift back and forth from div & unison constantly I’d rather just cheat it down immediately from within write mode and also have the placement consistent every time. Hope that makes sense!

Is there a reason you don’t want to reduce the distance(s) in Engraving Options > Text > Vertical Position? Do you want only these markings closer to the staff, and others higher up?

1 Like

No that works as well. Better actually. Thanks!