Cheap soundcard recommendation?

Hi - my old PC finally died last month, taking my old SX with it. So, I bought a new one with a 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-4460 Processor.

I also just bought Cubase 7, and when setting up my ASIO drivers, was informed that my new PC doesn’t have a soundcard that is able to record :open_mouth:

SO. I need to buy a new soundcard, my budget isn’t very big - probably about £150 MAX.

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

A mate just got the Steinberg UR22, and I was very impressed with the quality of recording that is achievable – you’ll also get a bundled Cubase LE7 for the laptop!

Focusrite 2i2 £99

I’m more than happy with the Focusrite 2i2 as well.

Stick to Steinberg audio interfaces for Cubase they will give you the best performance. I would stay away from Focusrite they have terrible tech support…

I also have used a Scarlett 2i2 for several years now with no problems. I did ask support a question once and they got back to me the next day. Just to be fair, I could find hundreds of threads here claiming Steinberg support is the “worst”.
Bottom line, to the OP, Steinberg, Focusrite, Presonus, all make quality entry level audio interfaces. Read about the features and see what fits your needs and budget.

OK - you’re going to laugh now :blush:
You ready?
I ahem already have a Presonus Audiobox that I’ve not used yet - someone told me to get it to use as a pre-amp to plug my microphone into…
I thought a soundcard was something you slotted into your machine that made your midi sounds…er…better? - do I not need one then? :confused:

They’re all “audio interfaces”. Back in the day there were no external audio interfaces such as your Audiobox, which should do the job nicely. The important thing is that there are ASIO drivers for it.