Choir reduction staff label

Does anyone know why this is happening?

The top set of staves is a solo Choir (reduction) instrument, and the bottom set is a section Choir (reduction) instrument. I’d like to use the section instrument for my project because I require divisi, and the solo instrument won’t allow it—but when the staff name appears in the wrong place it’s a non-starter; and that furthermore screws up the staff names for the divisi in a hilarious way:
Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 8.02.01 PM.png

I get the same thing. That’s in Galley view. Switch to Page view and it should look correct.

Galley view has a smattering of spacing quirks, which always resolve themselves in Page view. It’s a “working” view, so the most typical violators are collisions between staves. You get used to ignoring some of that in Galley View. Nevertheless, this does seem like something that should be fixed.

Thanks, I did know about some quirks of Galley View but didn’t know this might be one. Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem to be the case for me (!):

Is what you want

Sop/Alto
Tenor
Bass
?

Divisi isn’t the only way to do this (although I know it’s not answering your question). Why not make it a solo “choir” and add a staff below? (Note: you can only add and remove staves for “solo” players)

EDIT: I do get the same result as you what I create divisi. Seems like a bug to me.

Or it may be due to the fact that the choir reduction is not intended to allow divisi… since it’s already a split staff that represents a single instrument. I tested it with some notes… even if you try to make the bottom staff divide, Dorico is dividing the TOP staff!

I think your best bet is to not try to mix choir reduction and divisi. Add Choir as a solo instrument and add/remove/hide staves as needed.
choir 3 staves.png

That sounds like mostly a good plan. I don’t get staff labels that way though. I really want the ability to have a two-staff TTBB choir, and that TTBB choir becomes the bottom half of a two-staff SATB choir later in the piece. I suppose I can fake it via multiple ensembles.