Choose different HH sound in Noteperformer?

I’m trying to create a custom percussion kit that uses the drum kit sounds from Noteperformer, so that the top notes sound like the bottom notes in this picture:

I’ve got the playing techniques working such that the default notehead creates an open hi-hat sound, but the hi-hat sound it’s playing (for open and closed) is not the same one as the drum kit sounds. Could someone please put me out of my misery and tell me what I need to do? I’ve been going round in circles for an hour and can’t figure it out :frowning:

Could you please send your project as well, so we can figure it out?
First thing I’d say : cymbals and hi-hat are not the same instrument, so it would be totally logical that NP routes Cymbals to… cymbals. Probably suspended cymbals, IIRC.

Hi Marc, yes sure here it is.

Example.dorico (437.1 KB)

The instrument is labelled cymbals but it’s a hi-hat (chosen from the percussion instrument list). I can hear it’s a HH, just not the one I want.

I know it seems a little pedantic but if I can understand how to effect this change it’ll really help with my understanding of how percussion instruments work within Dorico.

It’s not pedantic at all. The key here is Percussion map. You shall study the one created for NotePerformer. You’ll see how the instruments are called and what playback technique are triggered.

Thanks Marc - I did try looking at the percussion map to see what was going on.

What I didn’t realise is that when you create a single line HH instrument it defaults to the NP Orchestral, instead of the NP Drum Kit. Changing the routing of that ‘Cymbal’ instrument in Play Mode to the NP Drum Kit instrument gives the right sound:

So now I’ve got that working, the question is:: is it possible to change the default ‘routing’ (sorry if that’s the wrong term) for a percussion instrument? So for example if I add a HH instrument in a fresh project can I make it automatically connect to the NP Drum Kit?

Honestly I don’t know. This is part of NotePerformer’s magic. You’re not supposed to use it in another way than with the Playback template. Fellow Dorician @Laurent_Colombo might have a trick, since he was sent a file with the list of available instruments and the code to access them.

No worries, I appreciate the help.

I’m guessing it would involve digging around in an xml file somewhere - which I’m happy to do if someone can point me to the file I need to dig around in!

Ok. It’s available in the Files from Groupe des utilisateurs francophones de Dorico, on Facebook. I don’t think you even need to be a member to access it. It’s called NotePerformer data list (or smth)

1 Like

I find that if I add a Hi-Hat (just a Hi-Hat) in Setup and then apply (re-apply?) the NP Playback Template, I do not hear an orchestral Cymbal.

1 Like