Choppy Cursor Scrolling in 9.5

Fantastic update PG! Thank you for everything!

However I am noticing significant stuttering of plugins opening and closing and the scrolling of the cursor…any advice?

Wavelab 9 was butter smooth on my Quad 4.0 i7 iMac with 32gb ram.

Thanks - DL

you mean, audio stuttering when inserting a plugin?
Cursor scrolling, always, or when opening a plugin?
Are you in HDPI?

The whole program is very stutters. Cursor movement, level meters, spectrometer…looks like its going around 12 fps.

Even if you load a single audio file and no plugin?
Please tell me more about your iMac. What exact model?

Yes, even just playing back a montage now with no plugins running. The entire program is running at what looks like half the speed of normal frame rates. My machine details are:

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac15,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 4 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 32 GB
Boot ROM Version: IM151.0207.B29
SMC Version (system): 2.23f11

I must say we tested until 4K, and 5K means twice more CPU needed.
Try to uncheck “Show Application in High DPI” in File > Preferences > Global > Display

I don’t see that as an option… see screen shot below.

Oops, indeed, this option is only in the Windows version. It should be added to the Mac version too, in the next minor update.

So will that option make it look like the old (blurry) version? I have been patiently waiting for Retina Display support for years and would hate to lose it! Can’t you make a tweak to support the Retina iMac? I suspect you have MANY people using this machine!

Thanks - DL

I seem to have good performance of meters/cursor scroll on my new 13" MacBook Pro retina/Touch ID as well as my non-retina iMac with 1080p Samsung display but I did some initial testing with a 4k TV as the external monitor from my MacBook Pro as soon I plan to get a new iMac and hopefully 4k Samsung TV for display and when I tested that, I definitely noticed some lagging with meters/cursor scroll.

Maybe it’s related, I need to do more testing but initially it didn’t look good.

PG…PLEASE update 9.5 to be compatible with the current and very heavily used iMac 5k!

I’m seeing the same problem with 9.5 Elements on my 5k iMac. Very choppy all together.

Ah, this is bad news maybe. I’m waiting for the new iMac Pro before upgrading my 2013 non-retina iMac and I also like to use an addtional larger 55" inch display that I’m hoping to upgrade to a 4k from 1080p TV which I use now.

The 4k TV seemed OK with native scaling but of course that is too small to really work, so as soon as any upscaling is enabled, the graphics are choppy.

One clue I noticed that is when zooming, the choppy graphics became almost frozen until the zooming is complete.

It’s definitely an issue with something in 9.5. Version 9.1 works just fine without any of these issues.

The difference between 9.5 and 9.1, is that 9.5 displays in high resolution if the screen is 4K or 5K, hence has much more data to compute and transfer to screen. This means sharped graphics, but apparently, slows things too much on the 5K computers.

Can you do a little tinkering to make it all work with the iMac? It looks AMAZING now and 9.5 is a fantastic update ; )

Is this normal?? :frowning:

On Mac Pro 5.1 12-core with ATI 7950 graphics card and Apple Cinema 27 display…

From about 00:05 in your video, the horizontal zoom factor is changing. Does this happen “on its own”? (in which case this is not normal), or upon some of your action (in which case, where is the problem in the video).

I think, the video wants to demonstrate the jumping cursor (in steps of some 100ms) in contrast to a smooth running cursor (as in WL9.1).
But it’s difficult to notice this in a YouTube video clip…

I just want to show how cursor jumps while playing, without any plugin loaded!

And btw, I checked before upload to youtube, it looks the same in “real world”.