Chord diagram

@ Daniel
Could you make this possible:

1. set the fret number on the left side of a chord diagram
  2. Use roman numerals

In Germany and in France you will find very often the fret number on the left side of the diagram.
You will also find roman numerals.

See this old but well known german book:
“1200 Barrégriffe für die Schlaggitarre” (edition Hans Sikorski)
You can see here the preview of a few pages:
https://www.stretta-music.com/stoppa-1200-barregriffe-fuer-die-schlaggitarre-nr-108669.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5dmKydPJ5AIVWOJ3Ch3XZA2EEAQYBCABEgJh7fD_BwE

See also this french book:
“Accords de guitare pour les nuls” (or the edition in englisch “Guitar chords for dummies” published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd)
This preview of the englisch edition shows also some examples:
https://www.amazon.de/Guitar-Chords-Dummies-Antoine-Polin/dp/047066603X#reader_047066603X

agree the roman nb for position/fret number is a must have for chord diagram and in general for guitar writing. to be classified in the fingering group

How is the determination about which fret to show the Roman numeral fret number made? In some of the examples it appears to be the first fingered fret, but not in others.

this should be left to the user.
the fret number can help show how a chord shape transforms thru successive iterations ex: A/A - G/A - D/A Fret nb stays anchored in front of the A (fr.5)
the fret number is also sometimes positioned in front of the root of the chord, which is not alway on the lowest fret.

Thanks for the suggestions. We’ll take a look at this in due course.

@Daniel
Thank you for you for considering this.

Yes indeed there are cases where it is very usefull to set the number at a different fret than the first finger fret.
On a personal note I always set the fret number where the root is.

I take the opportunity to add a few suggestions more, the attached image shows the way I notate chord diagrams and how I would like to notate them in Dorico.

1. I use fingerings as in my view they are a very important part of a chord diagram.
    I hope it will be possible in Dorico.

2. Using fingerings I do not need to indicate strings not in use.
    I would also appreciate if the use of x could be made optional, as very often it is redundant.
    Where it is necessary it is when a barré is used and some noted should not be played.

3. I find that indicating the root of the chord with a special symbol (I always use a circled dot or a circled circle) can be very usefull.
    I find also that setting the fret number where the root is can be very usefull in some standard progressions.
    But indeed the choice should be made by the user.
    The root being often on a lower string it then makes sense to write the fret number on the left of the diagram.
    I hope then that placing the fret number on the left side will be considered too.

4. A double line at the top of the diagram indicates that the first fret is the first fret of the guitar neck.

5. Something similar has been already mentioned in another thread but I would like to mention that I also would appreciate if Dorico could allow as much diagram variations as the user need and not to have to edit an existing one. It can indeed happen that at some point after notating a lot of projects with chord diagrams, one has a much bigger variation collection for the same chord than Dorico offers.

Maybe I should add that I have used chord diagrams for over fifty years as well for my personal use as also for pupils/students

I completely agree with teacue
I’ve been using the exact same diagrams details design for my guitar teaching (40 years…)