Chord Diagrams: can they be different in different parts?

Hi,

I’m currently working on a score for a mixed-ability ensemble which requires creating two guitar parts with different chord voicings (one using barre chords, one without). I haven’t been able to work out a way to have different chord diagrams (fret diagrams) in each part - when I change it it one, it changes it in the other. Does anyone know of a workaround? It would be super tedious to have to create a separate file for each part!

If capos aren’t enough to accommodate this, perhaps you could add local chord symbols for one of the parts? Step 2:

Thanks Lillie, but it’s not the chords that need to be different - only the chord diagrams (i.e the voicings). Neither part can use a capo - unless there’s some workaround there I can’t figure out?

Maybe this will be clearer -
I need one part to show:
Screenshot 2023-01-10 at 11.15.11
And another to show:
Screenshot 2023-01-10 at 11.15.26

I understood that, but I suggested local chord symbols because they can show a different chord diagram to the global chord symbol at the same rhythmic position.

Oh, I see! I didn’t realise that the local chord symbol would also apply to the diagram, even if the chords are actually the same. Thanks. I didn’t understand the capo thing - is there some method of fooling Dorico into thinking that you have a capo on (theoretical) fret 0 and therefore treat the part as separate for chord diagram puporses? Or would it actually have to be using a capo?

No capos represent… well, capos – ie a physical object that temporarily moves the nut, effectively. It can be partial though, so only covering some strings. It sounds like you’re really after “shape variation” instead though.

Yes, I want different shapes. I just wondered if there were any method less intensive than manually setting every chord to local in one part. It’ll work though!

Hello, I am having the same issue, have you found a solution? I guess I don’t understand the how to make chords ‘local’
Edit:
Ok, I figured out how to do it - open the chord dialogue (Shift-Q), and hit Enter while holding down the option key. this sets the chord symbol and diagram to local. Then click on the diagram, press Shift-option-Q, and choose the diagram you would like.