Chord Editor - how to?

As both a Cubase Pro 10 and Dorico Pro 3 user I require the ability to create in Cubase and then import my music into Dorico for professional typesetting. I am having immense problems with the chord editor in Cubase 10 as, to me, it defies logic and prevents me from inputting quite valid and common chords. I admit to hoping I am wrong and my problems are down to user error. Can a Cubase ‘guru’ please confirm either way. My issues are….

For example. Why is the b5 and #11 linked together? How do I write a simple G(b5) chord? I don’t want a G7(b5) -which also seems impossible to create. I do not want a G#11 either which implies it also contains the major 5th
How can I create a G(add9) which is not the same as a G9 – it does not include the seventh.

How can I create a Gm(b5)? The editor produces a Gdim which it is not! A Gm(b5) does not include the Bbb (A natural).

If Cubase and Dorico are to be regarded as ‘Brother and Sister’. It could be said that the brother is definitely not the smarter of the two and he needs serious lessons from his much younger sister!

While it is true that there are limitations to the available chords in the Chord Track (which could be resolved if Cubase allowed user defined chords and scales - hint, hint Steinberg). There is no limitation on what intervals you can include for chords in an actual MIDI Part - which is what really counts, right? If you use the Key Editor’s Chord Tools they will have limitations similar to the Chord Track, but the results can be fully edited. And of course you can build whatever chord you like the old fashioned way by entering the individual notes one on top of the other (which was the only way before ~2012).

Personally I’d select that unwanted Bbb and hit the delete key - bang, done, move on.

The Chord Tools in Cubase are obviously not intended to be a comprehensive look at harmonic theory. What they are intended to do is get rid of most (not all, most) of the drudge work of entering MIDI Notes individually to create chords. Depending on how harmonically complex what you are writing is, those Chord Tools might be all that is needed. But if things are a bit more complex, then yes you will need to do some additional editing. And even if you have to do a bunch of additional editing, it is still way better than writing it out on parchment with a quill pen.

FYI, Cubase & Dorico are not brother and sister, but I hear they did go to college together but weren’t roommates. Then after Dorico got out of a bad relationship they started hanging out together.

Rodger,
Thank you for your insight.

If I need to delete notes as a work around then that’s what I’l have to do. For me, as I am considerably more invested in the written display, if this is imported (as XML for example) I may have forgotten exactly every single chord I had entered 100 bars ago and I would rely upon the chords as displayed being acurate. As you hinted, Steinberg have a half baked system at best and I believe, if the eventual goal is to have ‘professional’ music programs like Cubase and Dorico communicating together, then Cubase needs to up it’s grade 3 music theory chops and stop (quick rant,) just for a while, its constant focus on EDM and other wonderfully complex and harmonically rich modern similar styles (yep - sarcasm-sorry).

I do dispair in reality. Coming from Pro 24 on Atari, IMO Cubase’s staff/user releationship is quite poor and they simply don’t listen - or ignore (what’s worse). I won’t be holding my breath for any type of breakthrough- but maybe in 2035… just maybe…

Thanks again