Chord functions (Riemann) via chord-symbol popover

My understanding of harmony and chords originates in classical music. Influenced by German music college, I think about harmony in terms of Hugo Riemann’s harmonic functions (tonic, dominant, subdominant and their relatives).
So, when arranging music on paper, I would first note down the chord progression in one of the two following ways below the score to have a better harmonic overview over the music (attachment).

Major differences to chords in Dorico:

• minor chords in small letters/major chords in capital letters.
  • inversion is displayed below the chord using the steps of the scale (Tonleiterstufen).
    (- and of course in the first example the use of functions instead of chords).

The current ways of writing chords in Dorico (I guess also meant for performance rather than analysis) don’t really suit my way of thinking. Instead written in the ways below (attachment) I can immediately grasp what they mean, e.g. when trying to play a score with many transposing instruments on the piano.

Will the display of such Riemann-based systems be possible via the Dorico chord-symbol popover in the foreseeable future?

(I have no idea how widespread this approach to chords/harmony is outside of the realm of German classical music education)

Best regards from Germany

1 Like

Page 24 of the Dorico 3.5 Version History says:
“ Dorico 3.5’s support for figured bass is not intended to meet the requirements of using figured bass as part of a broader set of notations used in academic writing for harmonic analysis, but expanding the tools for harmonic analysis is also planned for future releases of the software.”

I understand this to mean that something closer to what you’re asking for is being considered for future versions.

1 Like

Thanks for finding this quote, pianoleo, it sounds promising.