Chord grace notes ties

Only one note from a chord grace note (such as a left hand octave on a piano) will tie to the main note when pressing T. I can of course fake it with a slur in engrave mode, but it’s a bit tedious.

The more I use Dorico, the more I love it!

If you click the grace note and then Ctrl+click the normal-sized note to which you want it to be tied and then hit T (outside of note input, i.e. when the caret is not visible), you’ll be able to tie everything you need to tie.

Works like a charm. Thanks!

… However, it should be noted that the ties will be lost when copying and pasting, or using R.

…and that’s fixed for the next patch release.

You guys are just too awesome for words!

That isn’t a grace note. It’s a normal note displayed at a different size.

You create “real” grace notes with the / shortcut in note input, or click the icon in the left hand panel. There isn’t a way to convert between normal notes and grace notes, except by deleting the notes and re-entering them.

Dorico considers tied notes to be just a different notation of a single note, and in write mode all the parts of that notation are displayed the same way. If you change the size of a note and then tie it to another note, both notes will be displayed at the same size as the first one in the tie chain.

If you want to tie different size “normal” notes together, create the tie first and then change the properties of the individual notes in engrave mode - but you can’t do that in SE, because you don’t have engrave mode.

(I love the new slice feature). See the attachment.

1. I’m unable to tie the lower stave half-note to the first grace note. I cntl-clicked them (they turn orange as they should) but the tie function doesn’t do anything.

2. And a little off topic for this thread, but the slur for all the grace notes is broken into two segments. Anyway to make them one? Note that the notes were all entered on the lower stave, then the last bunch “alt-N’ed” (new verb!) up to the upper stave.

3. Again off topic, but can I hide the rests at the end of the measure? Edit > Remove Rest didn’t do anything, perhaps because there’s only one voice in each stave.

1 Like

Hi, rubberfingers!
I think those notes shouldn’t have been alt-n’d, but simply n’d, to remain in the same voice. This way the sticky behavior of slurs make it easier to keep one slur over the whole bunch of notes. Easy fix: select the alt-n’d notes, alt-m them, then n.
Ok, from the start, I think using grace notes here is not a good idea, since you don’t want them to attach to any note after — you want to get rid of the rest. I would simply use normal notes scaled to grace note size. Use a hidden tuplet (12x:4 should do the trick) and you’re set.
I don’t know why the tie would not show. Even if the voices are different, if you select both notes and press t, they should be tied.

Thanks, Mark. I thought of the N vs. alt-N after posting. That fixes the slurs, but then I can’t put a G clef in the upper stave (it goes into the lower automatically), or an 8va.

Also I discovered a slur works and looks fine to “tie” the regular note with a grace note. It’s not technically correct, but works.

Anyway I’ll try your non-grace-ful trick, and thanks again.

You can put a clef wherever you want. The key is to use the caret, not selecting a note. Invoke the caret on the upper staff, press shift-c, g in the popover, the clef appears on the upper staff at the rhythmic location where the caret is.

I’m wondering what the reason is for the first 32nd c if it’s to be tied anyway. Why not just begin the arpeggios with the second c?

Are you aware that you can have any number of grace notes with any rhythmic duration (such as a run) at a single rhythmic position? You’re not limited to one grace note. Having had a quick look at the Ravel Pavane, those runs don’t occupy time/beats in the bar so are demisemiquaver (32nd) grace notes.

The example on this page shows runs of multiple grace notes at the same position.

The Ravel Pavane is a bit confusing, because in the original piano edition only two sets of “grace notes” (the first and last ones, IIRC) are really grace notes, and the others are actually small 32nd-notes that look like grace notes.