Chord Symbol - Alternate bass

Hi. @Maestro Could you help me with a problem.
In Cubase 11, when I play a standard accord, e.g. CEG and push Create Chord Symbol, the score editor recognize it as C major. But when I play GCE, it recognize as C major too. But it should be C/G (alternative bass). How can I resolve this.
Thanks

Not sure why it’s not working for you, it does work here.

Maybe your question is different than I thought:

Are you saying that you do this?

Open the Score Editor
Start recording
play a chord on your midi keyboard
stop recording
select notes of one chord
do command “Make Chord Symbols”

Make Chord Symbol

It is working to me too.
In Score editor, you hit ctrl/cmd + A, then you click on the C7 button above and you should show the right chords. I am not sure that there is a kind of “over bass note” option to activate in Cubase.

Are you sure that you don’t have a C note below your G note turning it back into a C instead of a C/G??

Hi.
Thanks for your answers.
My old Cubases (6, 8) did like you said.
But now Cubase 11 does so:

I can confirm that the bass note is missing in the chord symbols here too.
No idea why! Still investigating …
The last version where I’m seeing this function working correctly is: Cubase 5!
(In my defense, I don’t use chords features in Cubase :blush:)

More testers?
Please follow step by step procedure by @steve in post #2.

P.S.: the bass note is not the only element missing in the displayed chords, Guitar symbols won’t display either.

Hi.
Of course I do everything as @steve shows, but the result is the same that I showed you.
And about guitar symbols - this is a separate function :slightly_smiling_face:
Thanks

That’s really odd guys,
I repeated the same steps as Steve and it is working again, whether you record or you write the chords…

Does the Edit chord symbol window on your screen showing C as the Bass note for the second chord??

The Edit chord symbol window is showing C as the Bass note for the second chord. I can manually change the bass note, but it takes some of my time and emotions :smiley:

The point here is actually that it is wrong to name the chord GCE as C/G! Actually it is just an inversion of C major and NOT a slash-chord. Why? Well, because it is only a triad - which basically never is a slash chord.

That’s very odd…

I am not sure I agree with you. Inversion and Slash-chord can be seen as the same to me or at least used for writing.
How would write a G CEG chord ? C or C/G ?

Hi, If it is a CHORD (not just 2 notes; but three at least) over a bass note i would of course call it a slash chord and write it down as such.

I do not believe that, Elien. A chord symbol may be notated as X over Y for triads as well. AFAIK this is a convention.
How would you indicate inversions for triads then?

Getting back to the main subject, could you (and others) please test the Make Chord Symbol function using the attached project file?

1- Open the project
2- In the Score Editor, press Ctrl/Cmd+A
3- Hit the C7 button (above the score in the Score Editor window).

4-Reply indicating which chord symbol is displayed in the score.
Thanks

Make_Chord_Symbol_Test.cpr (97.7 KB)

Maybe it depends on selection? I recall stumbling upon something similar when I was making the keycommand thread

If you select all notes and make chords the results are different than simply selecting each chord separately.

(This was in 10.5.20 though, I still have to test in 11)

Hi, I dont want to hijack the thread - sorry! :slight_smile:
As a reply to you, Maestro: Chord symbols NEVER tell anything about octave position or inversions. They leave it to the player which octave position or inversion he or she choses. Thats what a jazz musician would do. If the inversion is relevant there are other notations like 6 and 6 4 written BELOW the chord symbol. A slashchord is something different - as a general rule a chord over a tone that does NOT belong to the original chord (iow is an extension or other scale or non-scale tone of the related scale).
If the chord symobl C/G is written down it would leave the inversion of the C chord again to the player and NOT fix it to g c e (second inversion). It would also not limit the player to only let c and e sound over the g - and tell NOTHING about the order. Only thing it would accomplish unambiguously is the G as a BASS note but it would leave the upper structure of the chordabsolutely ambiguous (how many notes you play, in which octave you play them and in which inversion you use them) - no way to define e as the top note this way!

Done,

Result: C/G

Thank you @Vendimion it was not meant for you, as you had already tested following Steve’s procedure (it’s the same).

It would be interesting to have new testers.
The score is 2-2 so far.

Anyone else?
This test takes less than 5 seconds!

Indeed!

Got this (Cubase Pro 11.0.30)…

1 Like