Chord symbol font problem

Hello,

I don’t know how it happened but some of my chord symbols do not display well. No matter if I open and older file (where the chord symbol were written and display correctly before) or a new one from the Hub templates.

I am attaching a couple of images to explained better, but the # and the flat symbols dissapeared.
Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 15.36.12.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 15.36.33.png
I have delete Bravura font from the Font Book app (Mac) and reinstalled the Dorico_1_Installer_mac.dmg
But the same results.

Please help.

Thank you,
Carlos

Have you inadvertently edited the ‘Chord Symbols Music Text Font’ font style in Engrave > Font Styles to be something other than Bravura Text?

Hello Daniel,

I have checked and the ‘Chord Symbols Music Text Font’ font style in Engrave > Font Styles is set to Bravura Text.
Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 19.17.42.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 19.17.58.png

Heh, the chord symbols font should not be set to Bravura! Try setting that to Academico.

I changed it, but unfortunately the same results. No accidentals either on the root note (i.e. Db7) or on the tensions (i.e. D7b9).

Should I delete some preference files?

Does this affect all projects, or just this one? If it affects only one project, please zip it up and attach it here.

Hello Daniel, all projects and original templates are affected. If I open a new one, it will be affected as well.

It sounds like a font problem to me: can you try removing the Bravura.otf and BravuraText.otf files from /Library/Fonts, and reinstalling the Dorico 1.1 update, to see if that puts things straight?

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, after deleting the two fonts (I made sure that Dorico did not display any font after deleting the Bravura.otf and BravuraText.otf) After that I quit Dorico and reinstalled Dorico_1_Installer_mac.dmg.

I made a fresh new instrument and Flow but got the same results.

When I had a similar issue (not exactly there same as this one), one thing that I did was after deleting the fonts from the system (on Mac), I restarted my computer.

• Remove old fonts
  • Restart computer
  • Add new fonts

I had a similar problem, and just removing and adding the new fonts did not fix it. After the step of restarting the computer then adding the new fonts things worked. Have you tried removing the fonts, then restarting? Just a thought.

Robby

Hello Robby,

Thank you for the tip. Yes, I did restarted the computer to make sure they were gone.

Carlos, can you check whether you have a file called userlibrary.xml in ~/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Dorico, and if so, delete it, then restart Dorico?

Thank you Daniel, I don’t see that file anywhere in my computer. I looked in the folder you directed me and also did a search including system files on my whole computer, but could not find it.
Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 21.54.53.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 22.00.38.png

If you run Font Book, do you see Bravura and Bravura Text in there? What versions of the fonts show as being installed?

Daniel, here I am copying what is listed through the Font Book info:

Bravura Text Regular
Bravura Text Regular

PostScript name BravuraText
Full name Bravura Text
Family Bravura Text
Style Regular
Kind OpenType PostScript
Language
Script
Version Version 1.204
Location /Library/Fonts/BravuraText.otf
Unique name SteinbergMediaTechnologiesGmbH: Bravura Text: 2016
Manufacturer Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Designer Daniel Spreadbury et al.
Copyright Copyright © 2016, Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH (http://www.steinberg.net/), with Reserved Font Name “Bravura”.

This Font Software is licensed under the SIL Open Font License, Version 1.1. This license is copied below, and is also available with a FAQ at: http://scripts.sil.org/OFL

SIL OPEN FONT LICENSE Version 1.1 - 26 February 2007

Bravura Regular
Bravura Regular

PostScript name Bravura
Full name Bravura
Family Bravura
Style Regular
Kind OpenType PostScript
Language
Script
Version Version 1.210
Location /Library/Fonts/Bravura.otf
Unique name SteinbergMediaTechnologiesGmbH: Bravura: 2016
Manufacturer Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Designer Daniel Spreadbury et al.
Copyright Copyright © 2016, Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH (http://www.steinberg.net/), with Reserved Font Name “Bravura”.

This Font Software is licensed under the SIL Open Font License, Version 1.1. This license is copied below, and is also available with a FAQ at: http://scripts.sil.org/OFL

SIL OPEN FONT LICENSE Version 1.1 - 26 February 2007

Those versions of the fonts are out of date, Carlos. Trash them, empty the Trash, restart your computer, and install new ones from the attached zip file. Put them in /Library/Fonts.
fonts.zip (1020 KB)

Great, Daniel! I will do it right now.

Thank you so much

Daniel,

This is estrange, but this is what I am getting at the moment. I will continue anyway. It took awhile to get to this window.
Screen Shot 2017-08-11 at 00.20.59.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-11 at 00.24.33.png
Daniel, I don’t know if I should go ahead with threatening system dialog… I’ll wait until you tell me to do so or cancel.

I think you should be fine. The versions I uploaded are the versions I’m using myself on my own Mac, and so far I’ve been OK…