Chord symbol popover entry case sensitivity

Key signature popover entry is case sensitive, i.e. ‘c’ means Cm key. (I am not fond of this, I don’t think case should determine quality, but whatever.)

Chord symbol entry shift-Q is not case sensitive, i.e. ‘c’ does not mean Cmin, the chord quality by name (other than major) is always required explicitly.

Case is handled in the shift-Q popover strangely, as both ‘F#m’ and ‘F#M’ yield “F#m” chord, while ‘CM’ yields “C” chord and ‘Cm’ yields “Cm” chord, so, something about “#” creates a difference in Dorico’s perception of quality.

Overall it is awkward that the popover entries handle case sensitivity differently, in that “c” should be a minor chord and “C” should be a major chord, if being consistent with the key signature popover, when other quality or extension aspects (“maj” vs “min”) are left out.

Reference

3 Likes

This just seems like a bug to me. I can’t imagine why this would be desirable behavior.

As far as I see it, it is historical tradition (at least in German music) that major keys were written in capital letters and minor keys in lowercase, as can be seen in the (German) titles of many classical concertos. Chord symbols, however, are a relatively modern addition to music notation where the Anglo-American system has gained dominance.

This is purely anecdotal, though, and I might be wrong. But this is how I explain to myself these differences.

1 Like

I too am uncomfortable with being unable to use an “m” in the key sig popover and being forced to use lowercase for a minor key. I’ve learned to do it, but it does still bother me.

1 Like

Shift-Q popover “F#o” or “F#Dim” also yields the chord symbol “F#m(b5)” which to me is insulting (blasphemous jazz notation).

You can of course change this default in Engraving Options to suit your own preference.

1 Like